Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoy or NO Decoy

Old 04-26-2005, 03:31 PM

Default RE: Decoy or NO Decoy

[quote]ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If you use a decoy, it should look good. Those el-cheapo cookie-cutter foam generic decoys make better car washing sponges than they make a good hunting aid.

Flambeau just introduced a "Master's Series" jake that I would shoot if I saw it. It's that good.

Quiksilver

I agree ! I bought 2 hen master series this year and they are the most awesome looking decoys ...period. The stakes that come with them absulutely suck!, broke them in my 3rd hunt. They are a pain to setup. Great looking decoys, had them set out with 2 feather flex hens last weekend. They made they featherflexes look cheap. Now if the they could wind vane like the featherflex that would be the ticket!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah if you want to hunt with decoys make sure they're high quality ones. i have a hen decoy that i use every now and then. it looks real good. alot of times it just depends on the birds. i've had birds completely ignore them and others that get real interested in them. the only thing i don't like about decoys other than having to carry them is that the stakes aren't that great. and something that i learned this past weekend during the last weekend of the season here in florida is that in some areas where there's lime rock the soil isn't deep enough to put the stake too far into the ground. i had my hen fall over and it ended up spooking a hen that i called in. but otherwise i like them if i'm not walking a good bit.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 PM

I like my decoy and they are the cheap one but i don't put out my jake decoy out in the spring only in the fall and then some time's i don't .i 've seen some jake run off becase they are tired of fighting tom's for hens .
Old 04-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

They have their places but I usually don't get a chance to get them up because the bird is coming. A couple of years ago I set up some decoys along the edge of a field before daybreak because i knew that there was a decent tom using the edge as strut zone. I usually hunt ridges and run and gun but this time I was set up. I started to call and the wind picked up. The tom responded and just before he was in range he putted and was gone. I turned to look around expecting to see another hunter and there were 2 of my hen decoys laying over on their side from the wind and the jake was spinning around like a top. I bet the old boy never saw anything quite like that. Never did get him and nobody else did either. Made me laugh so the day wasn't all that bad.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i've read about what kerr is talking about. with the birds running aways from the red head. i've read that it's sometimes better to have a duller red on the head so that it isn't quite as intimidating so the birds especially jakes are more likely to come in.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 PM

I start out every morning with 2 hens and 1 jake decoy staked out. If I have to move from my original starting spot, then I rarely ever take the decoys along with me. They're just an early morning thing for me, but they do work!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Decoy , yes! But only a hen for me. Not any sucess with jake decoy. Got a 19 + pounder with a 10.5 beard and 1 1/8 spurs Monday morning, a full strut with his eye on my hen decoy. Misdirection play is the way to go. Keep calling....Tony!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:43 PM

It all depends upon your birds, the land, and the way you hunt.
If you hunt on your feet moving from one location to the next very quickly then the decoy is just going to slow you down. If you know you ambush spot and don't plan on moving much then put them out and pull them in.
If your birds tend to be agressive then put out the decoys, if they are easily spooked put them away or just use one very high quality hen decoy.
Don't use decoys if the goblers can see it from more than 100 yards. They will hold up right there and wait for her to come to him. Don't use the decoy if the yardage is too short, it will spook them if it's not spotted until they're only 5 yards away.
Use the decoy if you want the birds attention on something else other than you. Use a decoy if you need the birds to hold still for just a moment.