HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Flight Control (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/97648-flight-control.html)

NYhunter80 04-17-2005 08:36 PM

Flight Control

Has any one used these shells, and if so how did they work. I am really interested if anyone has compared them to Hevi-Shot, but any imput is appreated. Thanks.

CamoKing247 04-17-2005 08:54 PM

RE: Flight Control

NY

I have not hunted with them yet but i did use them to pattern my 835 mossberg 12 gauge..

I tried the Federal Flitecontrol Wad 3 1/2 #4 shot & #6 shot and for me the #4's worked well, I hit the turkey target with 8 & then again 11 bb's in the vital areas of the turkey target..

Remember everyone's shotgun patterns differently and what works for me might not work well for you so try and figure out which pattern is best for you and good luck..

Spatrat 04-18-2005 11:01 AM

I have been patterning the lead Mag Shock shells 3.5" 2.25oz #5's

I shoot a Baikal Mp153 with a trulock .665 choke:

At 30yards I had 27 in the vitals (head neck)

At 40 yards I was consistantly getting 17-20

At 40 yards with the hevi shot I was getting between 7-10

For about half the price I am getting a significantly better pattern. I can't see paying $30 a box for the heavyweight Mag Shock.

Jollyarcher 04-18-2005 03:57 PM

I've not seen anyone pattern (at our local range), the Flight Control better the Remington Hevi's. By comparison, the Winchester Xtended range, (also Hevi-shot), has been besting the Remington Hevi's. As said, all guns are different, but the results I've viewed are as stated.

Spatrat is getting a super good pattern with his lead ammo, especially for #5's. I'd be very satisfied with his pattern as long as his pellet count was brain / spine hits and not just within the turkey outline. #5 shot has plenty of energy to get the job done out at the longer ranges.

I've found that the Winchester Xtended range ammo shoots exceptionally well. Since it is Hevi-shot, I chose the #6 shot, which gives me more pellets downrange with the impact energy of about #4 lead. It's a bit more $ out of pocket, but I'm not throwing them at doves either. Well worth the piece of mind for me when faced with that 40 - 45 yard hung up gobbler.

BSTNFREEK 04-19-2005 03:38 PM

3 1/2 " FLIGHT CONTROL HEAVYWEIGHT #5'S (FEDERAL)
Remington 870 super mag
.660 super full turkey choke, Primos Tight Wad

35 yards 41 bb's in kill zone 278 out of 319 bb's in a 30" circle

45 yards 20 bb's in kill zone 217 out of 319 bb's in a 30" circle

Either of the above is far more than enough to take down any gobbler.......
Just got to go find one now, been seeing a lot on the private land that I hunt, but my season isnt until 4-27-05.