HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How to set up my new gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/97566-how-set-up-my-new-gun.html)

Lung Blood 04-17-2005 05:24 AM

How to set up my new gun

I ordered a new Remington 11-87 Super Mag w/23inch barrel (MOBU camo) last week and it should be here Tuesday. I was hoping that all of the 11-87 shooters out there could let me know how they set there's up.

I have a .655 Gobblin Tthunder tube that I hope it likes, but only sometime at the range will determine that.

Thanks for the informaiton in advance.

strut 04-17-2005 07:27 AM

RE: How to set up my new gun

Looks like you are pretty well set-up, Now if you want the best invest in a Rhino choke and some Nitro Hevi shot, outside a pair of sights that may have come with the gun and a sling and you should have a turkey thumper.

Jollyarcher 04-17-2005 05:11 PM

Good shotty choice. The constriction of your choke (.665) is one that I've found to work well with both the 1187 and 870 Remingtons.

The Rhino / Nitro combo is nice, but doesn't come cheap. I'd pattern your setup as is with Hevi-shot ammo and it will be a great turkey stopper. Your gun probably won't come with a rear sight, so I'd install one that was both windage and elevation adjustable.

As far as shells, I've shot the new Remington Hevi's (#5 and #6), along with the Winchester Xtended range Hevi's (same shot sizes), and found that the Winchester shot shells simply pattern better out to 40 yards.

My hunting partner has the Rhino / Nitro combo for both his and his son's turkey guns... the results are amazing. The .655 will most likely prefer 3" shells, while the .665 has shown more promise with the 3.5" thumpers.

MKMGOBL 04-17-2005 05:37 PM

Rhino/Nitro man! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED;) This is my set-up on my 870 and next year my 11-87 will be just like it. I just dialed the Holo sight in today and I'll post a pic of the pattern right after I get some food in me. If I didn't have the Rhino/Nitro set-up! I'd be shooting the Kicks .655 or .665 using Winchester NEW Extended Range 6 shot 1 3/4oz for the 3" chamber. If shooting the 3.5" I'd go with the 2oz 6 shot loads. Shot well out of my 11-87 today;)

All guns like different load but this is where I'd start and if you wanted to keep the cost down to start off, go with the high velocity loads.

Jollyarcher 04-17-2005 05:44 PM

MK!!! You old dog... how's your season going? Hey... look back at this post in a little bit... I got a pic to post 4 you. ;)

MKMGOBL 04-17-2005 06:19 PM

I can't wait! I'm sure it's going to be a good one:D I've been very busy getting ready for our new arrival:D We're heading to the hospital Wednesday night to put and end to my hunting days[8D] I'll be back to check it out there Jolly

Here's what the thumper above did today to a 37.5" X 39" turkey tagert at 40yds

Jollyarcher 04-17-2005 07:40 PM

Ahhh yes!!! How did I forget about the new bambino! An early Congrats to you and the Misses! Guess it has been a while since I chatted with you.

I've been kinda busy... zipping around after work getting ready for the junior opener this Saturday. I think I'm more excited than my son! Not to mention having some new gear too. :)

Not 10 minutes ago, I received a return call from a local farm owner who gave us the green light hunt his property. It's not posted, but I wanted to touch base with him just the same.

The great thing there is that he's granted permission to use an old access road back to a ridge that is a flock roosting site. I'll be there at 0500 tomorrow for a gobbler listening session.

About that gear... remember that 3.5" BPS shotty I was toying with? Well, I had a glitch finding fixed sights that worked, my Williams ran out of elevation, (which was odd), so I ordered a rail for an optic. The mount finally came after a week of waiting, only to find out that it would not accomodate a red dot. Dunno why they milled it that way, but it would only accept long tubes. Leave it to Browning to make just two holes to mount a shotgun scope and continue a raised rib onto the receiver. [&o]

Sooooo... with a bit of dragging my bottom lip around the house, my little wifey said, "I can see you're not happy... why don't you just go trade that gun on the one you want." I about fell over. LOL. Sooooo... I did. I think I was already out of the driveway before she turned around to hear the screen door shut.

I left my pattern targets in the back of my truck in the gear box, but I'll get one posted for you to see tomorrow if ya' like. Those new Winchester Xtended range Hevi-shot 1 3/4 ounce #6's are a flat out angry swarm of nasty at 40 yards! I'm VERY pleased to say the least. They even edged out the Remington Hevi's... and were not far behind my pal's Nitros.

Do you recognize this gobbler stopper? :)[8D]:D I hope to post a pic of my boy holding this very boomstick while posed in front of his first long beard come Saturday!!

Nice to "see" you again MK. Good luck this season and congrats once more. :)

NYhunter80 04-17-2005 08:29 PM

that is a awsome pattern MK. Do you think that the Xtended range makes a difference in the pattern denensty?

MKMGOBL 04-18-2005 08:01 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jollyarcher

Sooooo... with a bit of dragging my bottom lip around the house, my little wifey said, "I can see you're not happy... why don't you just go trade that gun on the one you want." I about fell over. LOL. Sooooo... I did. I think I was already out of the driveway before she turned around to hear the screen door shut.

So you do know how to work her Good job! It looks sweet and I'm sure you will like those new Extended Range loads;) A guy at the sight-in had that same red dot on his gun. I like the fact the dot didn't cover up too much of the target and I'm sure a turkeys head as well. Do me a favor and let me know what you think of that pistol grip stock. I'd like to know what you think about when you're out in the woods chasing jakes, I mean gobblers around