Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

henned up gobbler?

Old 04-11-2005, 07:15 PM

Default henned up gobbler?

ok say im hunting close to the woodline of an open field and i see a gobbler with 7 hens and he wont respond to nothing,what kind of calling can be done to maybe bring the hens in your direction?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Default RE: henned up gobbler?

fighting purrs
Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Fighting purrs may work, but another thing to try, is if you can hear the hens,, Mock them, every time you hear one of the hens call, make the same call back at her, but a little louder, and maybe a little raspier. If you mock the lead hen sometimes it will aggravate her and she will come over to see who is being a bother, bringing the others with her. But be warned, sometimes calling to a henned up gobbler will make the hens take the tom away from you as fast as they can. Good luck, it will be tough any way you look at it.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:53 PM

is there any way to attract a hen.?maybe if i can get some hens around me the tom will eventually come in.does clucks and yelps attract the hens also?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If all that fail's...as a last resort....get up and rush the bird's...The tom ought to fly on way and the hen's another...follow the way the hen's went...set up around 100 yd's from where they were....wait about 30 minute's, then start doing some hen talk....you can even do a boss hen assemble call....trust me...the tom remember's which way the hen's went....and he want's em back..
Old 04-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

eddie...I'd wait and hunt him during the middle of the day....let him get through with the hen...try to find out where he is picking up the hens...go there about lunch time and call him up..I did that last year...killed him at 1:30...
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Use soft clucks and purrs to keep a hen in the area. Just be careful becaus in my experience hens are a little more alert than gobblers. In the spring the gobblers hormones are so stoked up that he may let them get the better of his senses and overlook you as a hunter. A hen will be much more likely to spook and alarm putt. In the years I have been doing this I have had more success calling hens than gobblers but just be ready if they come.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 AM

I have great results mocking hens to get toms to come in. If you can hear them, try it.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call him and let him walk .
Then set a decoy out and wait , call every once in a while .
He will come back to find the hen after he breeds the other hens for the morning.
I have goten several birds this way when I broke my leg.

Johnch
Old 04-12-2005, 07:29 PM

but you can call hens or a hen to you by using soft clucks mixed with some purrs?

Quick Reply: henned up gobbler?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.