Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Brand New Turkey Hunter Here >

Brand New Turkey Hunter Here

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Brand New Turkey Hunter Here

Old 04-04-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Brand New Turkey Hunter Here

Hello All. I am posting in regards to the upcoming Spring Turkey season in Ohio. This will be my first time goin' out and I simply can't wait. However, to be honest, I am quite nervous as well because I am complete novice in this field. I came here for some possible help. Basically, what I need to know are the basics with some tips to increase my chances of bagging a bird and making my hunting experience as enjoyable as possible. I need to what is absolutely necessary to take to the field (i.e. call? decoy? blind?), and what brand to purchase of each item - if required (I realize there will be MANY opinions on this topic, but maybe to help narrow down the suggestions, I will let you know that I am not looking to spend too much money - I simply don't have it). I am looking to spend not more than 25-30 bucks on a call, and probably less than that on a decoy if one is absolutely necessary. Also, any tips on scouting an area, where and how to set up, what type of call works best in spring, etc. would be great. I realize this post is fairly vauge, but I greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions that the Turkey Hunting community may have to offer. Thanks again and I look forward to your responses.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brand New Turkey Hunter Here

Welcome to the sport... a decent call can be had in your $$range. Decoys (IMHO are for those that want "easy".) Get with an experienced turkey hunter, if possible..if not... read all you can. Calling isn't the key to success, woodsmanship is. Best of Luck to you,Bro...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the wonderful, but addicting world of turkey hunting!! The first thing I would suggest is to get out prior to the season and do some scouting. Get out at first light and listen for birds gobbling on the roost. Take note of where they are roosted at, and if possible, try to determine where they tend to head after coming off the roost. Look for areas of scratchings and droppings. Keep these areas in mind. It's much easier to call a bird to somewhere he wants to go, than to try to call him somewhere he doesn't. Next, try to listen to as many real turkeys as possible. No sense getting a call if you don't know what it should sound like. NWTF and other sites offer downloadable turkey sounds on the net.
As far as calls, start simple. Buy 1 or 2 calls and get good with them. Personally, as close to the season as it is, I would start with a simple pushbutton call. These calls are very basic, and cheap, but sound like a turkey. They are a very overlooked call. Decoys are a personal preference. You can kill with them and you can kill without them. In my opinion, setup is more important than decoys. Use the land to your advantage. If you are going to set up on a wide open flat, where the bird can see a long ways, decoys may be needed so the gobbler has something to look at. But by positioning yourself on the other side of a knoll from where the gobbler is coming from, you can get a shot at him just as he appears in range, and before he can hang up on you...sometimes. A Lynch foolproof box call will also fall in your price range and is easy to use.

Other than that, the turkeys will need to teach you. There is no "secret" to killing turkeys that always works. Each turkey is different and each situation is different. Getting with a veteran turkey hunter can help, but spending time in the woods, paying your dues and putting in your time is the best way to learn how to hunt turkeys and makes it that much more rewarding when you get to carry that bird out on your shoulder.

Most of all, have fun and keep an open mind.

Good luck!!

Slice
Old 04-05-2005, 09:19 AM

Pattern your gun.
Stick with a box call, like a QuakerBoy Grand Old Master or a Lynch foolproof.
Get a pushbutton--QB Easy Yelper, for instance.
No red, white or blue clothing, pop cans, snack wraps.
Good camo, including pants, shirt, face mask and gloves.
If he's coming, shut up when you see him/before that if you are in heavy cover. Yelping or clucking when he's 100 yards out, or less, will probably hang him up.
Delta Hot hen decoy.
Scout as much as you can.
Don't call to roosted gobblers. Wait till they fly down.
Think safety. Know your target 100% before you shoot.
Shoot at the base of the neck (wattles area), not at the head. A good shotgun pattern will throw shot in a circle, some will hit the head, if you aim lower.
Crow call and hoot owl for locators. Pileated woodpecker also good.
Do not bring a gobbler shaker into public woods.
When you're working a tom, get set up, don't move or twitch or blink, but if you need to move to shoot, you can do so, generally, if you move smoothly just when you are going to shoot. I've stood up and shot a turkey over a log and over a hill, when I couldn't shoot sitting, but you have to do so smoothly and quickly. It is always better, of course, to only move when the tom is in strut and facing away from you, or behind a tree, but remember they have 270 degree vision, and beware the companions---spook them and you'll spook your tom.
Move cautiously, don't yelp on that box call unless you're set up or prepared/ready to quickly set up, because a hot tom can be on you in 20 seconds, if he's close when you yelp. In other words, pay attention to where you are and where you might set up and where a tom might come in all before you give that yelp if you are cuttin' and runnin'. (And a better locator is a crow call, anyway.)
Think saftey.
Think safety.
Think safety.
Have fun.
Good luck.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go kid... now you'll have more to think about during boring school classes. You will most likley think about your first few hunts for the next few years. I still remember mine from 15 years ago when I was 15. You'll love it and you will learn lots if you let the woods teach you. Your best resource for information is the net and the people here. Surf other web sites listen to recorded turkey calls and play follow the leader games to improve calling.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I agree get a push button call or a box call. They are both easy to learn and will produce good turkey sounds. If you are only going to buy one decoy I would recomend buying a Jake rather than a hen. Once a tom sees the jake decoy it wont matter if there is a hen in sight or not. I dont think a decoy is a must but it can help. You'll need something to sit on. A bug net if they are a problem where you are from. You can get one in the wallmart camping section for 2 bucks. I woulnt worry about a blind, full camo with somthing to break up you outline behind you works good. You can get into this sport pretty cheap, but once your in watch out, it can steal alot of money.