Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Undertaker HELP!!!

Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Undertaker HELP!!!

I just bought the Undertaker .665 choke. So far, I've tried Win HV #6, Federal Grand Slam #5, and Fed Mag Shok #4. None of these shells put more than 5 pellets in a three inch circle at 30 yds. Can you recomend some other loads to try?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Undertaker HELP!!!

What gun you shooting? The Nitro Hevi's out pattern anything I have ever tried by a long shot.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jesus !@#$% dude forget the 3" circle[] Go get you a turkey target and set it up at 30 and 40 yards and shoot that!!!! Then count the hits in the neck vertebra and brain. If your getting at least 5 or more hits at 40 yards in the vitals your good to go...
Old 03-27-2005, 12:22 PM

The target I was using was a turkey target with a three inch circle on the head. Counting the five in the circle, there were nine hits in the head and neck. This was at thirty yards. I was wondering if you could think of any other shells I could try to improve my pattern.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:41 PM

What gun are you usen? Try Remington 3" 4x6 1 7/8 oz they are good to make sure you kill him there are #4 and #6 in the load.
also Remington turkey Nitro not hevi shot at Walmart they are $5 a box I killed one last week with them.

I like my undertaker alot I got it one my nova.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:07 PM

Moose, Ihave tried the 4x6's. They didn't pattern well at all. Of course it was cold and windy when I shot them. I just bought some of the nitros. I 'm going to do some more experimenting today. P.S.- Do you have the .665 or .675?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

HELP
My Kick's tube is a .665.... It does not pattern well with the Win High velocity loads, but it patterns very well with Win XX 2 oz. #4 turkey loads AND Federal Premium 2 oz #5s... These are the 12 gauge 3 inch shells...
Old 03-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

We'll get you back in the game and you are correct that your pattern is lacking. Do you have the means to post a pic of your 30 yard target?

Should be able to tell if your choke constriction is too tight / too open in this way.

If all else fails and you like the .665, (which by the way is pretty much the go to turkey choke for most manufactures), I would buy a box of Remington Hevi-shot #6.

They aren't as impressive as the Nitro Hevi's, but they certainly have out patterned anything else I've shot in the last 6 years. By comparison, the Remingtion Hevi's are half of what the Nitro Hevi's cost.

The Remington Hevi-shot #6, out of three different shotguns I've tested, (using chokes that ranged from .660 to .670, with a .660 and .665 doing best), would stop any turkey at 40+ yards. I don't wish to shoot in excess of 40, but I know that these loads could do so reliably.

In defense of the Nitro load, I have never seen a pattern as good as what the Rhino choke throws with Nitros. Go over to www.nitrocompany.com and see for yourself. It's all in what you want to spend in experimenting for that ever-dense pellet collection. Good hunting.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:28 PM

I threw all the targets away because they weren't good enough to keep. I'm going out to pattern again today after buying some new shells. The weather is a lot better. I'll try to post some pics after that if I can figure out how. LOL
Old 03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

All your targets are worth keeping... reference keeps you from making the same mistakes with shell / choke combos and lets you see what your gun is trying to tell you on paper.

Quick Reply: Undertaker HELP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.