HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Rio Gobblers that roost on a ridgetop (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/95361-rio-gobblers-roost-ridgetop.html)

Mag1234 03-25-2005 08:12 PM

Rio Gobblers that roost on a ridgetop

Hi all,

I have a question about my hunting area that I'd like your expert opinions on. My land in the Texas hill country has a very densely wooded ridge where gobblers roost, and you hear alot of the morning gobbles on this ridge. When the gobblers fly off the roost, would you expect that they fly all the way down the ridge (~100-200 yards) into the mesquite flat / more open areas that form in the valey at the base of the ridges? Or would they fly down into the thick in the ridge and do their morning business there, later walking to the more open areas for feeding/etc? For all I know they could first go the other way on top of the ridge into the oak trees, but I've always assumed the would fly down the ridge toward the east. I'm trying to decide where to setup on these gobblers and would appreciate your opinions! Thanks

ultimag 03-25-2005 09:27 PM

RE: Rio Gobblers that roost on a ridgetop

my experience tells me that the birds i hunt fly to the ridge top they usually roost just below the ridgeline and pitch into the ridge top they usually dont fly 100-200yds off the roost i hunt merriams and the ridge tops are usually fairly open and are not that thick i would advise getting there atb fly down time acouple of mornings and try to pattern them hope this helps

SWOSUMike 03-26-2005 12:02 AM

Hey man, I have a very similar setup, only my ridge top is not exactly a ridge as much as it it the top of a canyon. I wasn't sure if the birds landed down in the canyon from which the tree grew or onto the top of the canyon, which was closer for them heighth-wise but required them to fly further. . I figured they fly down into the canyon, so I waited there one moring last year. Well, they didn't come down my way. The next time I got up high and realized that they were landing high, and I got a bird that day.

wacker 03-26-2005 03:24 AM

A couple of mornings scouting should tell you what you need to know.

Mag1234 03-26-2005 06:40 PM

Yeah, I've already been out there once before daylight, and I heard the gobbling but it wasn't clear to me where they flew down. I have a hard time pinpointing how far away they are when they gobble - the sound really travels! :) I won't have alot of mornings to hunt and so I'm looking to maximize my chances right from the start. I did see 7 hens with a gobbler in tow around 5:00 pm in the bottom of the valley, so I think I know where I'll go in the afternoon.. Thanks for all of your help!