HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   won't shock gobble (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/95149-wont-shock-gobble.html)

jip40 03-24-2005 07:57 AM

won't shock gobble

hey guys, i've been scouting a lot lately and haven't heard a single response to my locator calls. today i walked up on 4 big toms and i'd blown my crow and woodpecker locators not 2 minutes before i saw them. just wondering if this is normal, and what locators may work better. I'm in South Carolina by the way if that matters.

moose1915 03-24-2005 08:04 AM

RE: won't shock gobble

sometimes they are like that. around here in NY where i hunt, we used to be able to slam a car door and get a response.

nowadays, crow and woodpecker calls wont get a peep out of them. must have smartened up..... i still have limited luck with a hawk screetch, and i'm going to try a peacock wail this year. heard that works.

the best is when the local quarry is going to blast, they start hitting this ridiculously loud siren 1/2 hour before. the birds go nuts!

if i could carry a 200DB siren in my pocket, i'd have it made!

you found the birds, stay after them!

good luck!

RIStrutStopper 03-24-2005 08:58 AM

Maybe an air horn in a can?

benhuntin 03-24-2005 10:03 AM

Sometimes they dont work at all in some areas. Last year I only had one gobbler respond and that was to a crow call. Just because they dont gobbler doesnt mean they arent there.
I havent heard a gobble yet but have killed one bird and missed another this morning.

jip40 03-24-2005 12:35 PM

thanks guys

duckhunter81891 03-24-2005 12:58 PM

ive had the same thing happen to me sometimes it works sometimes it dont

Jollyarcher 03-24-2005 05:47 PM

Hmmm... what's your weather been like? I've seen miserable days yield less gobbles to locator calls. Could be the birds are pressured, or maybe just need their Miracle Ear batteries replaced. LOL... J/K. ;)

johnch 03-24-2005 06:09 PM

Try a Silent dog Whistle .
I have hear it works great.

Johnch

jrbsr 03-24-2005 07:48 PM

Try a Silent dog Whistle .
I have hear it works great.
Might work for yotes to.

m00sedrool 03-24-2005 07:49 PM

I've heard that the reason that Drury dog whistle style locator call is called "dead silence", is because that's all you hear after blowing it! ;)

I think you just have to hit the birds in the right mood. I always stop and listen every time I hear a real crow or raven, and on several occasions have heard birds gobble. Then again, I've walked miles hooting, cawing, howling and had no luck hearing a gobble. Sometimes you just can't beat a sweet sounding box call for locating while strolling through the woods. You just have to be on your toes if you get a response.