Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

won't shock gobble

Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Spike

Default won't shock gobble

hey guys, i've been scouting a lot lately and haven't heard a single response to my locator calls. today i walked up on 4 big toms and i'd blown my crow and woodpecker locators not 2 minutes before i saw them. just wondering if this is normal, and what locators may work better. I'm in South Carolina by the way if that matters.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: won't shock gobble

sometimes they are like that. around here in NY where i hunt, we used to be able to slam a car door and get a response.

nowadays, crow and woodpecker calls wont get a peep out of them. must have smartened up..... i still have limited luck with a hawk screetch, and i'm going to try a peacock wail this year. heard that works.

the best is when the local quarry is going to blast, they start hitting this ridiculously loud siren 1/2 hour before. the birds go nuts!

if i could carry a 200DB siren in my pocket, i'd have it made!

you found the birds, stay after them!

good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe an air horn in a can?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Sometimes they dont work at all in some areas. Last year I only had one gobbler respond and that was to a crow call. Just because they dont gobbler doesnt mean they arent there.
I havent heard a gobble yet but have killed one bird and missed another this morning.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Spike

thanks guys
Old 03-24-2005, 12:58 PM

ive had the same thing happen to me sometimes it works sometimes it dont
Old 03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm... what's your weather been like? I've seen miserable days yield less gobbles to locator calls. Could be the birds are pressured, or maybe just need their Miracle Ear batteries replaced. LOL... J/K.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a Silent dog Whistle .
I have hear it works great.

Johnch
Old 03-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Try a Silent dog Whistle .
I have hear it works great.
Might work for yotes to.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard that the reason that Drury dog whistle style locator call is called "dead silence", is because that's all you hear after blowing it!

I think you just have to hit the birds in the right mood. I always stop and listen every time I hear a real crow or raven, and on several occasions have heard birds gobble. Then again, I've walked miles hooting, cawing, howling and had no luck hearing a gobble. Sometimes you just can't beat a sweet sounding box call for locating while strolling through the woods. You just have to be on your toes if you get a response.

Quick Reply: won't shock gobble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.