Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stubborn Gobbler

Old 03-22-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Stubborn Gobbler

I would appriciate it if anyone could give me some advice on this one: Last week on opening day, we were out and called in some turkeys. there were about 15 in total on my decoys, 2 hens and the rest jakes. One big gobbler came in but hung up about 100 or so yards away. We kept calling and all of the turkeys responded...even the gobbler...but he never came in. Is there anything different that I could do next time in a situation like that? or is it just one of those tough luck kind of things. Any help would be appriciated.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stubborn Gobbler

could be a tough luck thing. Try a fighting purr. sometimes that will fire up the gobbler. That or just shut up and see if the other birds move on by and haul the gobbler past you.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 PM

Don't feel bad, I had one Sat. all by himself in a creek bottom at 2 in the afternoon that wouldn't come any closer than 75 yards. There was nothing in between me and him but a hen and jake decoy. He stayed at 75-80 for about two hours before finally walking to the creek and jumping over it and walking out of site. I tried everything I could to get him to come closer he just didn't want to.
I killed one last tuesday that did the same thing, he paid the decoys and the jake that visited the decoys no attention. I just got lucky after about an hour and a half of purring he finally got with some hens and the hens came my way. The gobblers here in Mississippi are not acyting like they normally do this time of year.
Youth weekend I took my nephew and we heard a gobbler at 7:30, we got within 100 yards and called twice and he came strutting in. He had an 8 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs.
From youth weekend to this past weekend the turkeys have went from there normal early season ways of acting to late in the season ways of acting. I guess it is all the bad weather that has got them messed up.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:14 PM

I myself will not Call to a Gobbler, if he is within Sight of my position. I want to Break Him Down and make him grow impatient enough, to come In and look for that Sassy Hen, he heard Minutes ago. Sometimes Works, and sometimes Not. But I dont like Him working Me!.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:18 PM

i set up about 30 yards in front of my decoys between them and the gobbler. this way if he hangs up at 60 or 70 yards, thats a 30-40 yard shot.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

BYRD,

I'm new to using decoys, but the things I've read about their placement and how to use them, if the gobbler is seeing your dekes at 100yds, they're in too open of a spot. Remember, calling a gobbler to a hen defies nature, the hen usually goes to him. When a gobbler (especially a mature tom) sees your deke, he starts strutting and in effect, demanding the hen comes to him. When he sees the deke not moving, this sends an alarm to him that something isn't quite right. So, try setting up in a different location that will allow the decoys to remain out of sight until the tom is within about 50 to 60yds from you and the decoys are 25 to 30 yds. Then, enjoy the show when he rounds the bend in a logging road and closes the last 30-35yds strutting, spitting and drumming.

I would not set the dekes behind me though. First and most important reason, you may not know that someone else is slipping up on them and you could be shot. Second, there may be a subordinate tom in the area that will approach silent from your backside and the hunt is blown. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:11 PM

I shot my decoys..all they are good for.

when a tom dont come in..Ill eather leave, try again later. or try to sneak on him...witch ever works
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 PM

I quit using decoys several years ago but I still think there is a time and place for them.

As for having a tom hang up 75-80 yards out I actually like it. At that range it gives me enough time to turn my head VERY slowly and throw my calls ( mouth call ) behind me to sound like I have moved 150 yards or so away. I just try to sound like an excited hen but I do it at a lower volume. TRUST ME it works (80%). When you see him coming in just turn your head back around VERY slowly and nail him when hes close enough. It has worked for me far more than anything else I have tried. The real key is to not make a sound for about 5 minutes before you turn your head and throw your calls. It will be the longest 5 minutes of your life.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks for all the help fellas. Ill give it a shot and see what I come up with.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Spike

If there were 13 jakes at your decoys and the tom hung up at 100 yards, he might be a tom trying to stay out of a fight with a gang of hormone driven "teenage" jakes. He's waiting for the hens to come to him.

I agree with the others too. A decoy in the open can hang up a tom faster than anything on the planet. I kill almost all my turkeys without decoys. Keeps them coming in looking for that hen that's just out of sight...specially when I turn down the volume and it sounds like she's slipping away. I still carry the decoys for those few occasions when they help.

Quick Reply: Stubborn Gobbler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.