HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Gun/choke combo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/94787-gun-choke-combo.html)

DaveH 03-21-2005 02:05 PM

Gun/choke combo

After 23 years shooting my trusty Winchester 1200 at both deer and turkeys, I'm getting ready to make a change.

I'm looking hard at the Mossberg 835. I have an XX ful turkey choke on my Winchester and it patterned OK, but not as good as I want. I was at Dick's today looking at some Benelli's, but the Mossberg 835 was priced far les and the guys working there said it patterned better than any of their other guns when coupled with the undertaker choke. It comes with the X full choke.

I can get it for $250 if I accept the crappy woodland finish, but I can't see paying $75.00 more for a prettier camo pattern. It has just the front and rear bead which I plan to switch too.

If YOU were buying a new 835, what choke, sight and ammo would buy with it? I'll probably buy a slug barrel and scope later this year for deer if that's any help.

Rick James 03-21-2005 02:33 PM

RE: Gun/choke combo

Honestly, I would put a scope on it right away. This was the best thing I ever did to my turkey gun and I haven't missed a bird since. I makes it MUCH easier to get on target this way fast.

For choke, if money is no issue I would get a Rhino, if you are cost consious I would look at Undertaker, Kicks, and Hastings. All of those have good chokes. For shells, you will have to see what shoots best out of your gun.

Rebel Hog 03-23-2005 02:09 AM

Dave I have a Moss camo 835 and a Adj.Titanium Tru-Glo choke. All chokes in one
set-up and any shot you want to shoot.

savedbygrace 03-23-2005 08:49 AM

As far as what choke to use, IMO it depends. Alot of prople may not agree with I'm going to say but you also have to consider the diameter of your shotgun barrel on the inside of the barrel. And no matter even its the same brand of shotgun its usually different with each gun when it comes form the factory. Granted I am definetly no gun expert, but I've had alot of guys whos "religion" is guns tell me that story. They aways say have the inside of your shotgun barrel mic'd to see what the inside diameter is then decide on a choke. Again alot of people probably wont agree with that but everybody has an opinon. I just dont think its right for the guy at Dick's to say that the Mossberg's coupled with the undertaker chokes throw a just as good pattern as the beneilli's. Every shotgun and its specs, even if the specs are small, are different. Again I am in no way any kind of expert but its just IMO.

johnch 03-23-2005 09:22 AM

Put a red dot on today for turkey and deer.
Ammo >>>Rem Hevi Shot 5 or 4
Choke - I tryed 3 before I found one for me . I would try a Undertaker tube.

Johnch