Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tested - Fed Flite Control #4 vs Win Supreme #4 vs Win Supreme #5 >

Tested - Fed Flite Control #4 vs Win Supreme #4 vs Win Supreme #5

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tested - Fed Flite Control #4 vs Win Supreme #4 vs Win Supreme #5

Old 03-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tested - Fed Flite Control #4 vs Win Supreme #4 vs Win Supreme #5

Well I just got back from throwing some patterns with my Mossberg.

The gun is a Mossberg 500 Turkey Gun with the 24" ported barrel and a 2.5x Tasco Turkey scope.

I tried all listed shot out of my stock Mossberg XX Full Turkey Choke (.670) as well as a new Undertaker choke (.665). All patterns were better out of the Undertaker choke noticably.

The 3" Federal Mag Shok #4's were the new ones with the Flite Control wad in them. I must say, I was kind of dissapointed with this load. It seemed to throw the worst patterns. This was their 2oz load. The patterns also werent of even density like the Winchester loads. Some patterns were all over the head and neck, and then some had the heaviest density elsewhere.....very little consistency. I haven't written off these loads though yet, I will be trying a box of their Mag Shok #5 Flitecontrols as soon as I can find a box, maybe there is too much of a load there with 2oz for #4's in my gun/choke combo.

The 3" Winchester Supreme #4's were the load I have used for the last few years. This is their 1 3/4 oz load. This was pretty darn close to their #5's, but not quite as good out past 30 yards. Under 30 yards, they seemed to put as many pellets in the vitals as the Winchester Supreme 3" 1 3/4 oz #5 loads. At 30 yards, there were 20-30 pellets in the head/neck on my targets every time with this load, identical to the #5's. At 40 yards, the #4's only put 10-15 in the head/neck area.

The 3" Winchester Supreme #5's 1 3/4oz shells were the best today. As mentioned above, they had similar patterns to the #4's when 30 yards and closer, however at 40 yards, there were more lethal #5 hits than the #4's. I was able to average 15-20 pellets in the head/neck of the target everytime and it threw very consistent patterns with even shot density every time.

With all that said, I thought federals new Flite Control wad was supposed to stay with the shell for a longer distance. The Winchester wads were closer to the target in EVERY shot than the Flight Control wads. I will try their lead #5's before I write them off though but the Win Supreme 1 3/4 #5's will be tough to beat and will probably be the load for me this year.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tested - Fed Flite Control #4 vs Win Supreme #4 vs Win Supreme #5

interesting.....my flight controls went through the target at 25yds and bounced off at 30...maybe it hit the wood pallet i staple to and at 25 went between the boards.....but i WATCHED it hit at 30 i was like what the heck was that thing...sure enough it was the wad....none of my other wads from other brands went half that distance that day.....but there was a cluster of shot on all my targets that was very dense and turkey killing....but it was low right every time......the rest of the pattern was just shot all over.....i bought a box of winchester supreme HV 1 3/4oz #5s to try....my gun likes 6s.....and i think is too tight for 4s so i think 5s may do nice...heard alot of good things about winchester HV #5 loads.......hope they work their magic for me....
Old 03-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My shoulder is purple right now.

I think I went through about 40 rounds off the bench today.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best luck has been the 3" Win XX Supremes in 2oz. #5's. I've tried the same in 4's, 5's, and 6's as well as the Federal (normal turkey loads a couple years ago), Kent's, and Rem. Hevishot. None patterned as well as the #5 Winchesters so that's what I use all the time. I do want to try out the new Federals though so thanks for posting. I'm shooting an 870 with the Rem. Super Full Choke. I would like to try another choke but don't really want to drop $50 for something I don't know if it'll help. Might have to check with a local store and see if they'll take it back if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM

I agree with ya Rick the Winchester #5 have shot alot better than anything else I've fed thru my gun. I have a Mossberg 835 w/ a Hastings .665 choke and it really likes the #5's. It is also capable of the 3 and1/2 load but after experimenting with them both the 3in shot as well as the 3 and1/2 did and had alot less punishment. It is a really good round and I think I'll stick with it this year also.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Hey Rick, Have you tried the new Extended Range Winchesters yet. I heard they are even better than the Supremes.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deer-Slayer22

Hey Rick, Have you tried the new Extended Range Winchesters yet. I heard they are even better than the Supremes.
No, I haven't mainly because my chokes won't take them. I wouldn't mind trying, however they are pretty expensive when the Supremes are less than $8 per box and seem to throw a pretty good pattern.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

With my rem 870 mag I got excellent patterns from fed 3' flight contol #4. I got 128 pellets in a 10" circle at 30 yards. The win hi v 5s didnt pattern too well but the #6 did well with 132 at 30 yards in a 10 inch circle. Every guns differnt I guess
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Wow... you placed 128 #4 shot pellets in a 10" circle at 30 yards? That's a dandy pattern. I'd like to throw #4 shot, but never found the right choke constriction. I'm guessing your turkey tube is on the larger (more open) size? You're getting a very nice pattern concentration indeed.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 PM

I thought the new Winchesters were OK in any choke?

Quick Reply: Tested - Fed Flite Control #4 vs Win Supreme #4 vs Win Supreme #5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.