Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TEAM 8... "TOM TAKERS"

Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM

Default RE: TEAM 8... "TOM TAKERS"

Had a great youth weekend. 6 hunters 3 birds killed. Nasty windy rainy Sat, and a windy Sunday. I took Landon out and we tried. Had to resort to going to the gobble. They were henned up bad and seemed to be still in Winter flocks. Anyway Landon didn't get a bird but he got an eyeful. We had 5 strutting, drumming and spitiing birds, with 40 hens and several Jakes. He had an opp on a jake but wanted to wait out a longbeard. I worked the flock toward us somehow, probably just got where they wanted to be, dought I called em LOL. But they never got into open woods. They stayed in the cedars and had quite the morning. Landon got to see a fight and a romance scene. One kid took this beauty. 26 # 3 beards. Too bad he's not on the team Seems early stiil. The gobblers were sporting white heads with very little red showing. Redbuds should be out soon...Morrels and Longbeards to follow.

Here's the bird with the father and son one of the guides called for. Who looks prouder?

Old 04-08-2005, 06:54 AM

I've been doing a lot of scouting up here in northern new jersey. Hope I harvest a spring gobbler. April 18th is our opener.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:02 AM

Hitting the woods tomorrow, our opener! Have not got a chance to scout except one morning. I moved away from the farm for the big city life. [&o] But, have hunted the area for years, and know about where they usually are. Found someone here that is willing to share some hunts with me, so I'm pumped. Always like to meet new people, hunt new areas, and share strategies. Good Luck to everone! Go Get'em!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:13 PM

Good luck!!! I am gonna try and head out in the am myself. The weather has been bad all week, a few tornadoes and storms so hopefully I won't be fixin fence again!!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

GIT R DONE HHG. Our season starts in the morning, I'm stoked!!
Old 04-09-2005, 07:57 PM

We had our 2 day youth season opener today and it was awesome. My little sis got her first bird today. Not a monster but you couldn't have told her that. It was a trophy for both of us and I'm glad to have been there with her.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 AM

Well here we go.... I'm gettting ready to leave for KS in about 15 minutes and hopefully I can return and put another bird on the board for us..... Whats nice is I get to return to roll right into MO season...... Isn't life great!!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Season starts Monday here in NJ i cant wait i have been doing alot of scouting and hearing a good amount of birds.
Hopefully the weather is nice.
Good luck to all.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lifehog

Season starts Monday here in NJ .
Man...WVa must have the latest opening date in the US.... ours don't start til the 25th.... WAAAYY too late ,IMHO...that's why our kills have steadily declined over the past 5 years, and are back to 1991 levels!!!

Good Luck on your hunts................
Old 04-15-2005, 08:06 AM

The season starts on Monday here in MI as well. We have located the roosts and have them flying down in the same area every morning. They quickly move to their strut zones and go to work. Now all that we have to do is pray that no one else is observing this same pattern and planning to sneak in and harvest my birds. ( Private land) I truly believe that the sunrises this year have been more spectacular than ever before. It could be that I actually slowed down enough to consider all of the aspects of hunting. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that the face masks we wear for chasing turkeys are really just to camoflage the smiles on our faces when that first bird lets lose his gobble. Good luck to all- hopefully we'll be posting some photos by Tuesday!

Quick Reply: TEAM 8... "TOM TAKERS"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.