Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up? >

What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Old 03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

At least four or five years ago I bought a few hens, they might have been featherlite but I'm not sure, all I know is they were the foam rubber kind, hollow in the middle, with the stake that sticks into a hole in its back. When I set them up, they were still bent from carrying them in, and the rubber/foam ripped easy on it. I understand the industry has come a long way in the past few years. What is a good specific brand/name to get that looks real, is easy to set up and doesn't bend because of the way it is folded when carried and stored? Also, what combination would be good to use, eg. one jake, one hen or two hens? Also, I'll be hunting strictly mountainous woods, and wonder if it is better to use decoys there or not even to bother with them because they wouldn't be more effective than using nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Got the bug and been watching videos at huntingfootage.com
Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Default RE: What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

I always use a decoy/decoys. The Buckwing brand look pretty realistic. I usually go with a jake and a hen.
Good luck!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:44 PM

Although Iv not used one as of yet, The Decoy that Cally Morris is making, is as real as it get's.Iv been told that there is not comparison, between Callys, and the best Plastic One around. He actually mounts a real Hen Decoy, to a Ground support, but they would be a Hassle to carry, and the Price is down right Scary. $400.00 +

Saying that, Ill learn to except my Carry Lite
Old 03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not looking to pay nearly that much. I'm talking the $15 to $30 range per decoy!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:03 PM

Down this way there is a new one on the market that's flying off the shelves. It's called the Hen bobble head. With just a whisper of wind it bobbles it's head up, down, left and right. Body moves too. Pretty cool if that's what you're looking for.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen that bobble head decoy, and they seem too shiny. I dont know just an opinion but something about them doesn't seem right.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:55 PM

I have used featherflex since they first came out. But over the years they do not have the quality they use to. My last pair the paint peeled of their heads after 1 season. I purchased the new flambeaus master series http://www.decoys.com/turkey/dcoy_turkey.html#mstrsrs because of the realness of the heads and they are also made of foam like the featherflex. The heads on the decoys were patterned after a real hen and molded in plastic and attached to the decoy. I bought them at basspro for $20 a piece.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Those Cally Morris decoys are fine for those HS Strut pro-staffers that park the truck, walk 100yds, owl hoot, then set up on a roosted bird...and oh yeah, they aren't coming out of pocket to pay $400 for a mounted hen decoy. But I'll be darned if I'd lug one of those danged things around in the mountains where I typically hunt. I'll keep my Featherflex hen tucked in my vest pouch...she comes in handy as extra back padding when I don't have the time to put her out.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 PM

Can't go wrong with Buckwing. Have had them for 3 year's now those where on the shiny side but took a scotch brite pad and toned them down. The Buckwing out now are not as shiny and the paint job on them is great. I've just added the bobb'n head hen to my set. Check them out .
Old 03-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Fork Horn

love my buckwing dekes. i just got a bobbin head one. they have them on sale here

https://www.jesseshunting.com/osComm...cturers_id=109

i want to get one of them battery motion things. they have them at that website. has anyone ever used one of these motion deals that makes the decoy move around?

Quick Reply: What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.