Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up? >

What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Old 03-18-2005, 07:11 AM

Default RE: What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Does anyone know, if a Tanned Turkey Skin,(Feathers On) would hold Up very well. Im thinking to get the realism, why not place a Skin over your Turkey Decoy, complete with Feathers for added realism. Seem's as though it would work Great, if the Skin would be durable.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just got a BassPro ad that has the Buckwing Lifelite bobbin head feeding hen for $19.98, starting March 24.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM

I use Carry Lite decoys because the coloration is the closest to the hens I see. More black than brown.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougMD

At least four or five years ago I bought a few hens, they might have been featherlite but I'm not sure, all I know is they were the foam rubber kind, hollow in the middle, with the stake that sticks into a hole in its back. When I set them up, they were still bent from carrying them in, and the rubber/foam ripped easy on it. I understand the industry has come a long way in the past few years. What is a good specific brand/name to get that looks real, is easy to set up and doesn't bend because of the way it is folded when carried and stored? Also, what combination would be good to use, eg. one jake, one hen or two hens? Also, I'll be hunting strictly mountainous woods, and wonder if it is better to use decoys there or not even to bother with them because they wouldn't be more effective than using nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Got the bug and been watching videos at huntingfootage.com
Sceery® Flock of Four & "Struttin' Jake". Colapseable & In flateable.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Flambeau Master series, that Jakes head looks real and they are only $19 at Wal-Mart.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the Feather-Flex and Carry-Lite brands over the years with good success, but lately I've taken a fancy to the delta line of decoys, especially their feeding hen decoy!! This decoy has an awesome pose and detail as well, which adds to the Illusion!!!!! Here's a pic of that hen decoy!!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your're looking for a decoy with a simple setup DO NOT use the flambeau master series. The stake is a 3-way folder and not the easiest to setup in the dark or when a tom is coming in fast. I have been searching for new decoys for 3 years, with no results. I currently use feather flex (9 years old). The new decoys do not hold their shape like the old models. An out of the box decoy should fold out perfect, most resemble a wadded up peice of foam or polyurethane. Of course they all look great in the advertisement photos. I would recommend Delta, they keep their shape the best and have a simple setup while looking very realistic. They are not very light and do not fold well but I can deal with those factors.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:09 PM

I have had good luck with the feather flex decoys. Have used for the past two seasons and the toms have been attracted to them both seasons. During the off season, I keep them in my shed and at full size. This gives them a full year to stay at their appropriate size and when I use them during the season, they always return to the original form.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 PM

i currently use the feather flex, and have used the deltas. the feather flex i think are better, they are lighter and bigger, plus they fold and are easy to carry. the deltas lookes really good, but they were small i thought and the paint on the heads wore off in one season. they were also heavy and hard to fold and carry. i dont think you would be disappointed with the feather flex decoys.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just bought a Flambeau Master Series Jake - the head on that decoy is in a class of its own. My only complaint is that they attempted to paint-on an irridescent sheen on the body and it looks too "green." That's an easy fix with a can of gloss-black spraypaint.

I've had really good luck with dekes in the past. I always painted my jakes' heads for realism. This one will require no work.

The stake that it comes with is bobo, but I have tons of extra stakes that will suffice. It is the most realistic jake decoy on the market today (with a touch of black added at home).

Quick Reply: What's a good decoy to get that looks real and easy to set up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.