Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

snakes

Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: snakes

Yes God is good. During bow season in the dark I was walking through a small puddle. About 3 different times I heard what sounded like a turtle jumping off the log. Then I went out there during daylight once when I over slept. I saw what was making the splash, a 10 foot gator. I thanked God for protecting me and I found another way to get to my stand.
Chuck
Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 PM

Don't get the RedHead 16" snake boots. I have a pair and they leak. They were great for the first month or two but they sprung a leak. They are really nice for turkey hunting because they are light and they give me that piece of mind for snake bites. Now the only pair of hunting boots I have to use this year turkey hunting is Rocky bearclaw 1000 gram thinsulate. Going to be a long season for my feet.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Yes God is good. During bow season in the dark I was walking through a small puddle. About 3 different times I heard what sounded like a turtle jumping off the log. Then I went out there during daylight once when I over slept. I saw what was making the splash, a 10 foot gator. I thanked God for protecting me and I found another way to get to my stand.
Chuck

CHUCK, YOU"RE NOT SCARED OF FL. LIZZARDS.........ARE YOU?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

being in central florida i hunt a lot of swamps which means lots of snakes.
i decided to invest in a pair of rockys...they are the most comfortable boots in the world but they leak bigtime....i'm on my 4th pair in less than 2yrs....seems as though they last a couple/few months and then they stop being water proof.....if i could find another pair that would fit i'd be glad to try them but cabela's/etc only offer men sizes...lowest being an 8 which is a tad bit big for me....they really need to offer women hunters a better selection.
hopefully everyone will be safe and won't need them but it's a wise choice to get them.
y'all take care and good luck gettin' your gobblers.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

fl.huntress,

Bass Pro has ladies sizes, in snake proof. Sizes start at #5....$98.99

Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Where do you hunt in Central Florida? Green Swamp?
Just wondering
Chuck
Old 03-26-2005, 03:04 AM

I bought a pair of Redhead snake boots from Bass Pro last season. THey are very comfortable and held up well last year and NO leaks...yet!

They are lightweight also. I never saw any snakes last year but the warden told us the first week someone had gotten bitten already where we hunt.

I hunt public land in southern Ohio and the rattlers are really there I guess.

I hope I never find one to test the boots though...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:50 AM

where I hunt in north central Fl. we don't have to worry bout the snakes ; the Gators eat them all.[].

the boots would have to go above my knees to be water proof.where I took my gobbler Thursday,I had to cross the creek and it was knee deep.I just wear sneekers and go ahead on.

good luck in finding some good one ; hope you will never need them.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Hate to hear you got nipped. I hunt and fish between Georgia and Tennessee and been doin it for 15 years. I have been eye lever with copper heads while fishing an old mill pond and had to reach down and grab a moccasin I stepped on and didn't realize til his tail swiped my pant leg. I got much respect for them things and have never seen the need for snake proof boots or chaps. Even if you do have some, they wont do any good when your sittin on the ground any ways.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

cutnstrut,

I too, use the Rocky snake boots (I believe they are Outbacks, they had 3 different pairs when I bought mine), they wear like a pair of nike type shoes, also water proof. Not only is the snake proof important, but water proof is a must where I hunt. However I have waded water waist deep to get to a bird, never had a problem with them in four years of use.

dog1