Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke Tubes: Help!!!

Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Choke Tubes: Help!!!

I need help choosing a choke. Right now I have a 11-87 with a factory extra full choke. It only puts about eight pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards. I'm looking at hastings, the Undertaker, and the Tru-Glo Gobble Stopper Extreme. Can you tell me which choke/load combination will work best for me?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:02 PM

Default RE: Choke Tubes: Help!!!

Bump
Old 03-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one can. Buy a Hastings, Undertaker or Tru-Glo tube (all good tubes) about .665 ID. Try a bunch of shot sizes and brands. I will say that most folks seem to have good luck with Winchester shells but your gun may prefer another brand. Every gun is a law onto itself.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM

Sorry I don't have the link right here, but look at the Nitro site. They have tested a number of choke/barrel/shell combos. You might want to polish your barrel, too, plus, as Wingbone said, it is a matter of guess work and trial and error. I'd look at a variety of shells instead of investing in a variety of chokes, first, though.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you plan on shooting Hevi-Shot just buy you a Rhino choke, thats as far as you will have to look.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Deer-Slayer,
Nitro Ammo recomends Rhrino,Patternmaster,Carlsons,Truglo, Trulock
and any Stainless Steel or Titanium choke, will work good with thier
ammo. Check with thier charts for constrictions on your gun.
Click on Test Patterning!
www.nitrocompany.com
Old 03-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude 8 hits in the vitals(brain&neck vertebra) is fine for 40 yards... Unless you get some kind of custom shell and choke combo or send your gun out to get some work done you'll have a hard time finding a magic choke that will shoot much better than that

Good luck on your quest for the ultimate turkey gun
Old 03-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: strut

If you plan on shooting Hevi-Shot just buy you a Rhino choke, thats as far as you will have to look.
Ahh, but we need to specify Nitro Hevi-shot here. I thought that I could eek by using Remington Hevi-shot with the Rhino choke. I found out differently last night at the bench. I had the reccomended Rhino for my BPS, the .670 and another Rhino in .660 at my disposal.

The Remington Hevi-shot worked well, but no where near stellar. Insert one matched Nitro brand Hevi-shot load for the specific Rhino choke and WOW! Talk about night and day. Bird hung up at 45 yards? Not gunna to be a problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:17 PM

I went to the Nitro site and looked at the prices. Copper plated lead $18 for a box of 5, Hevi-Shot box of 5 $23 are they kidding?

You can go to Wally World and buy Winchester turkey loads for $5 or $6 and get 10 rounds of Remington Hevi-shot for $17, if you check sales its as little as $6. I just bought a couple of boxes of Remington 4x6 loads for $2.50 ea. Don't know how they'll work but at that price I'll try them.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went to the Nitro site and looked at the prices. Copper plated lead $18 for a box of 5, Hevi-Shot box of 5 $23 are they kidding?

What does it cost you ever time you shoot your bow and either lose or break an arrow in a deer? All this money we spend on turkey hunting and then we complain about having to give a little extra for the best ammo?

Quick Reply: Choke Tubes: Help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.