HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   hunting woods advise(help) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/93919-hunting-woods-advise-help.html)

jip40 03-14-2005 07:55 AM

hunting woods advise(help)

i'll be hunting on public land this season, with few or no fields, anyone have any advice on where to look or setup?

Rem1100 03-14-2005 08:41 AM

RE: hunting woods advise(help)

listen at daybreak for a Gobbler...terrain will dictate where to set up, if you get one interested in your calls. Feild hunting never produced much for Gobblers, it's been my experience,at least for me. Deep woods' is where I've had my best luck. Good Luck

Hidden Hunter 03-14-2005 09:23 AM

Hard Wood Benches, just over a Ridge Line, would be a Great place to Start,along with Creek Bottoms.

Mr. Longbeard 03-14-2005 03:26 PM

Remember one thing were there are turkeys there are 4x4 trucks:D Hope that helps ya:)

12 pointer 03-14-2005 07:31 PM

go to your hunting spot the evening before you hunt the next morning and just sit about 150 yards away and see where they roost. take a crow or owl call, but they will probably gobble on their own. then sneak out of there and go back the next morning, then you know exactly where he is. set up between his roost and strutting area and you should be able to get one. your best bet will probably be in deep woods instead of open fields, especially on public land.

turk2di 03-15-2005 04:36 AM

Find the creeks & streams and begin listening there.

jip40 03-15-2005 06:46 AM

thanks guys

tnichols 03-15-2005 09:14 AM

Get to the highest point in the timber at first light and listen from there. Look for openings in the timber(fire breaks, clearcuts, trails and old logging roads) this is were Toms will setup strut zones

TURKEY FAN 03-15-2005 10:51 AM

all this talk is gettin me fired up man"!! i would say scout early for some strut zones, feathers droppings, they may still be in there winter range area's though depending on where you live here in ohio its like 30 degree diff of what it should be!! ughh. So it could change when the weather changes along with new food, look for dusting bowls, good trees along streams, they like to roost there, and set up high when you locate one, good luck

triplespool 03-15-2005 08:53 PM

Hello jip40, There is alot of good advice already. I would look for struting zones, look for droppings if it looks like a J it is a tom droppings. Look for dusting bowls and fire lanes. I would also look for pine trees they like to roost in them. I hope this helps take care and safe hunting.;)