Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New Turkey Hunter Advice >

New Turkey Hunter Advice

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter Advice

Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Turkey Hunter Advice

Hey Gang....This season will be my 2nd year hunting turkey. I live in Central NJ and we dont have a ton of birds out there but i know that they are around because i see them every once in awhile while driving. Anyway, what would be the best way to scout for these birds...i know i will have to do alot of walking but what should i be looking for? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:24 PM

Default RE: New Turkey Hunter Advice

Well, first pay attention to what time of day you see the turkeys after 3pm they are headed back to the roost, early in the morning leaving the roost area so if you see them those times of day scout that area. get a topo and look for hills water ridges. Start high and call with a locater call,( Turkeys will gobble at most anything.) look for good roost trees. Ask farmers, ranchers. Also a trick I use is go to birding sites they will tell you where they have seen turkeys.[8D]
Old 03-26-2005, 09:29 PM

I should say They wont tell you but you will see it in their posts.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

do what GOBBLERTRACKER said and i look for turkey droppings and some scrachings.. and also where im at right now they arent gobbling much but they will be soon, so get out very early and listen for them. that might point u in the right direction. at this time of year when they gobble you'll be able to hear them at far distances. i like to get on a ridgetop where i can hear a long way off.. here in PA ive been seeing them in fields lately, so check them out also. hope this helps and good luck this season..
Old 03-27-2005, 12:21 AM

Go to the property where you are allowed to hunt right after it just turns dark. Puff as loud as you can on an owl hoot or let out a loud yelp with a mouthcall. Toms will gobble from their roosts. This is a good method because it tell you where they are roosting and therefore gives you an idea of where to set up. Main key: Know the landscape like the back of your hand or better. Knowing where they roost is of no value unless you know the land well enough to sneak in on opening morning in the dark. I used this method last year and assumed I knew where they'd fly down. First morning, I came up with an empty bag. I knew the land, though, and I was able to figure out how to get to a place quietly enough to watch one fly off the roost. This method works best the night before hunting, but doing it now at least gives you a general roosting area idea. If the place is relatively peaceful, they will generally keep roosting there until season starts. I did this last night and located probably 3 birds. Season doesn't start til April 6, but since nobody really goes down there, I believe these birds will keep roosting there. It's close to where they were roosting last year, too, so I know it's a good place.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont give up