Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbler Shaker

Old 03-13-2005, 03:40 PM

Default RE: Gobbler Shaker

The gobbler shaker will work on the Boss Gobbler, but will most likely turn subordinant birds away. A lot of hung-up gobbling can be jakes that want to play, but are afraid. The Shaker will make then get silent in a heart beat!
Transition Phase 1 is another time for the shaker as the birds are still establishing the pecking order and fights are very common between both gobblers and hens. If you don't have a shaker, use a high pitched friction call to imitate hens and gobblers could run in....
Old 03-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

SC...I agree you are risking scaring a subordinate bird away, just as you take that chance using an agressive looking jake deke I think. I just thought it might be fun to fool around with under the right circumstances.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:50 PM

I have used the Primos Gobbler and a jake gobbler tube I called in a tom with the Primos but a hunter also came in and walked right into my decoys.[:@][:@] I would not use it in areas hwere other hunters will be.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Safety would be my biggest concern, in that too many unethical hunters abound on public ground.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:48 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Criggster

Last year they were covered in hens, but we took a few this past fall to thin out the pop
Reducing the number of hens just reduces the overall number of turkeys in a population including gobblers. You need to keep the hen population up to keep the gobbler population up. Its totally different than managing deer.
You are sacraficing alot to try and keep gobblers from being "henned up". Instead, learn how better to hunt henned up gobblers. Shooting hens is not the answer to better hunting.

I use the gobbler shaker later in the season and as a locator in the evenings. I just make sure nobody is hunting the area im in.