Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 how do you count patterns >

how do you count patterns

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do you count patterns

Old 03-03-2005, 06:50 AM
st1

Default RE: how do you count patterns

I didn't mean to imply that I don't count the pellets in the ten ring. I've just read here and there on the net of some crazy high numbers actually on the turkey within the 10" and was trying to figure out how they came up with the count. The outline of the turkey to the left and right of the spine makes a huge difference in pellet count. The best I've ever done consistenly is between 11 to 15 shots on the spine and brain. Counting the whole outline would probably double that number. Unless you spend ten bucks per shell for the Nitro loads I can't see getting 30 pellets on the spine at 40 yds.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude if your gun is shooting a ragged hole at 20 yards you better not let one get into 10 yards

Might be a stupid ? but is your point of impact different from 10 to 20???
Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

The 11 to 15 count you speak of would be average for most turkey guns throwing lead shot IMHO. When I test, I'm looking at the overall concentration of the pattern at 40, including the number of hits in the brain and spinal column. I want it to be tight and uniform, with few to no holes in the pattern. My goal is a load that gives me a clean kill 3" left or right of the bird at 40 yards, in either direction if things go wrong. I don't shoot the Nitro's (which are more like $5 each), since I achieve + 35 pellets in the down now zone, (not the whole turkey head outline), on a regular basis with Remington Hevi-shot from 40 paces. Not that there is anything wrong with shooting Nitro's mind you, but I can't see the need to spend the extra cha-ching for more hits than that.

Hey Long... why worry about shooting at 10? If he's there, he'll be the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Oh, and I see no impact change between 10 and 20... or 30 for that matter. Hold the bead right on and let 'er go.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 AM

i have found a way to pattern your gun at a variety of distances without wasting a bunch of shells. my 870 is set up with a red dot(which makes this easier).
i set up a target(large paper with a 30", 10" and turkey head) at 50 yards. put my gun in a gun vise/bench rest and put the dot on target. leaving the gun in the vise/rest, i then proceed to set up targets at closer intervals.(a friend can look thru the red dot and let you know where exactly to place the target to save time)
this way a single shot can show results at different distances...........
Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

An interesting concept... but I wonder just how much deflection the pellets undergo after passing through the paper media.

I wouldn't think it's too much of an issue on the closest target, but I bet the results could be misleading after ripping through 3 or 4 sheets of paper on the way to the farthest target.

Add a turkey head to the 30" sheet and you've got two plys per target distance. A good concept, but I don't think it will give true results on actual pellet placement.

Then again, I could be wrong... been wrong before... once. LOL.