HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   your average hunting day (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/92374-your-average-hunting-day.html)

determined 03-01-2005 03:41 PM

your average hunting day

i travel to hunt,but i know the land,i sit quitely the night before and listen for fly-ups.i get a good nights sleep,lay out my gear,listen to the weather,and make a plan.bad weather does not intimidate me,im still going hunting.i do this daily always adapting,i read at night about tactics im faced with,bad weather,henned up birds etc.im kinda of serious,i will lay out my gear night after night and wake up at 4 am,find a cup of coffee always excited.oh i forgot i will have a few beers with the guys after hunting hours,bird or no bird what a nice time.what is your typical day guys?

mobow 03-01-2005 03:52 PM

RE: your average hunting day

Eat. Sleep. Hunt. Repeat. If no hunting is available, you may substitute with fishing.

Bobgobble2 03-01-2005 06:55 PM

Tim,for me its a great time of year,time off work(vacation)my day usually consists of,huntin gobblers in the morning,bowfishin in the afternoon,and roostin gobblers in the evening!Little league fits in there too!!!! :D:)

Allseasonhunter7 03-01-2005 07:00 PM

skip school go drive 21/2 hrs to delhi set up camp sit around the fire eat or fish then roost birds sleep wake up eat and go. fish inthe afternoon and hang out

KitsapCaller 03-01-2005 08:36 PM

Try to roost a bird, go back to camp, have dinner, check my gear and get it ready, sit around the campfire and tell stories, have a beer or two, go to bed, get up and hunt all day...repeat.

trapper T 03-01-2005 09:06 PM

Either like Kitsap said or drive an hour and a half and wait for the morning gobble....then hunt til fly up....unless I gotta give a tom a piggyback ride;)

DaveH 03-02-2005 01:12 PM

Stuff layed out the night before. Up at 4:30, wake hunting partner, dress, tell hunting partner to get up, get a cup or two of coffee and something to eat. Make sure hunting partner is up. Grab everything I need, get in the truck and drive to hunting spot. After arriving, spend 3-5 minutes arraying myself with far too much gear and walk in without spooking turkeys. Spend the entire morning listening, calling, chasing, running and gunning . . . then head back to the truck empty handed most days! Hunting partner scores.

ironranger 03-02-2005 01:51 PM

It's different for wherever I hunt...

Wisconsin-There I don't put them to bed anymore as I know they will be there. We have over 1000 acres to hunt and I'm usually up about 3:30am, grab a breakfast at Quik trip on the way, and head for the woods. If they are gobbling I'll get as close as I dare, look over the area quick and determine the best place to setup (Important as I've messed up on more than one occasion), and try to call softly and just enough to let them know I'm there. They will either come or they won't. If a hen cuts me off I'll get into a shouting match with her to see if I can bring her...and the tom to me. More often than not that is a losing battle. Then I'll either spend a few hours trying to find a gobbler that hasn't found a hen or setup at the last place the gobbler was sounding off and wait until about 10 or 11am when they come looking again. I've taken a few birds around 11 to noon so I try to stay put during this time and cluck/purr every so often. If all fails I may start moving and calling in the afternoon until closing time at 5pm. Then it's social time as I've come to know a few locals that I visit. Then up at 3:30am to start over again. Repeat until bird on ground....

Minnesota-I stay at the landowner's place so I get there the evening before hopefully before dark. I've had it happen twice where I drove into the yard, a gobbler was sounding off on the hillside, I walked up to locate while the landowner would slam the car door every so often to make him gobble, and I'd have a spot cleared out in the woods so I was ready the next morning. On both occasions, the bird flew down to me after no hens responded and my hunt was over by 6:15am. So I try to locate one. If not I get up in the morning, later since I'm right there, and step out of the house to listen for gobbles. If I locate a bird I'll run across fields, up hillsides, etc to get as close to him as I can. Stop and look over the terrain to figure out where I can be see the best and yet have some concealment in terms of a little brush or something to break up the outline. Then I'll work that bird until the gobbling stops and then give it some more time. If no gobbler shows I'll either stay put and call occasionally for a few hours or run and gun for awhile. It all depends on what is happening.

South Dakota-Too new to this game to say. I'll be running and gunning this time around and cover alot of spots.

rybohunter 03-02-2005 03:23 PM

Weekdays-Awake ungodly early, ready and head to the woods. Could be as close as walking out the back door, (mostly) or driving a half hour. (less often) Listen to a few birds gobble from several hundred yards away then shut up. After 1-2 hours go back to truck and drive to work.

Weekends-Get up early and head off. Setup in probable location. Hear turkeys gooble from several hundred yards away then shut up. Proceed to see guys calling badly and wandering around the woods, cause I guess no tresspassing signs only apply in deer season. Wait till they leave and hopefully try and call in a bird later in the morning that hasn't been spooked too bad. Quit at noon cause that's when we have to.

determined 03-02-2005 04:08 PM

its great to hear everyones AVERAGE DAY,its interesting to know what guys do to prepare for the hunt,what time they wake,if they have a routine they follow,if they adapt etc.its just smalltalk but fun just to kick around.