HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Choke tubes???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/92351-choke-tubes.html)

Jrockkilla 03-01-2005 02:11 PM

Choke tubes????

I've got a Remington 1100 12 gauge 2 3/4" and was wondering if anyone else uses an 1100 and if so what choke tubes have you found to be a good fit with this gun and what ammo? I've tried all sorts of combinations and was looking to see what's working well for other people with the same setup since I'm looking to make a change this year.

Jollyarcher 03-01-2005 03:17 PM

RE: Choke tubes????

Can't help ya in the 2 3/4" range, but I have had two Remington 1187's that both liked a extended choke in the Hastings variety. The short barrel (23) liked a bit tighter constriction at .650 than did the longer barrel (28) did with the .665. Both these chokes patterened HV #6 shot very well.

You say that you tried many combinations... so what exactly have you tried? Post some patterns... would help to see what your gun is trying to do with what you've already sent down range.

MKMGOBL 03-01-2005 03:47 PM

I've got a Rhino tube that I don't want....................Just kinding, had to put it on here for Jolly[8D] If you guys want I'll let you both try a Kicks and a Jellyhead. The Kicks tube is AWESOME but it's been replaced.

1950KID 03-01-2005 04:22 PM

I think the Hastings are hard to beat for the price.

Jollyarcher 03-01-2005 05:20 PM

Gosh, I said 1187... I meant to say 870. Had auto on the brain there for a sec... sorry about that Jrock. The reason I asked to see your pattern pics is that they will have tell tale signs of what your gun likes / dislikes as far as shot size. Be sure to list the choke constrictions with each shell, shot size, oz. payload and estimated velocity. I think there is enough knowledge on this board that we could steer you in the right direction and save you some $ in the process.

As far as that Rhino choke fellow... he must not have read my previous post... I've been trying to help him for some time now... he should go here http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=955721 and take me up on the offer. :D

I've been toying around with a Browning 24" BPS and so far, the Hastings .660 is showing promise. The load I settled on thus far is the Remington Hevi-shot #6, throwing 1 7/8 ounce from the 3 1/2" shell at a published velocity of 1225 fps. I haven't chrono'd it for myself but the pattern is very good.

I tried chokes with a .655, (Hastings) a .675 (Kicks ported), the .660 above, and the stock BPS Turkey, that mic'd a .697. The Kicks shot real well with Winchester High Velocity #5's... the 3 1/2" 2 ounce payload. I *think* from the looks of the target, that this Browning is going to give the best results with a choke in either .665 or .670. The targets that I've shot all lean that way. It's pretty devastating out to 30 and is really good at 40... but not as good as what I've seen the Rhino / Nitro combination achieve.

Personally, I don't like #6 shot in lead for 40 yards, as it's losing a ton of energy at that range. I'd rather shoot 5's if I was going to settle for a lead only choke combo. That Kicks may be the ticket in a .670... but the one MK has ain't gunna thread into my gun. [&o]

Out of all the shells I've tried, (which would be 4's, 5's and 6's, both 3" and 3 1/2" offerings, were from Win, Fed, Rem Premier, and Rem Hevi's), the Remington Hevi-shot produced the best patterns.

I've read a bit on the Hevi-shot choke concerns, ie: will a lead shot only choke stand up to Hevi-shot... and what I've found, a choke made from stainless steel is what to buy. Rhino is the big dog and has yet to be bested. Surprisingly, inexpensive Truglo chokes are made from SS and are Hevi-shot approved. A couple others I found are Trulock, Carlson, Patternmaster and the HiViz Long Spur. I'm sure there are others... just need to look around a bit.

The only draw back is not having enough buddies close by that have these chokes in the right thread to try before ya buy. Common sense tells me to buy the Rhino and be done... but I'm still trying to get MK's. After all, I might be able to chuck it up in the lathe and spin some Browning threads on that baby. LOL.

Jrockkilla 03-02-2005 07:19 AM

Wow! Thanks for the insight! Well, let me give you a rundown on what I've experimented with so far.... I used to have a Remington 870 Super Express Magnum synthetic 12 and shot both 3 & 3 1/2 shotshells (mainly winchester supremes, remington premier high velocity magnum turkey loads, and federal premium mag shok turkey) The 3" rems shot best at 30 yds.... about 7 bb's in the vitals, feds and wins were about the same with both 3 and 3 1/2 but wasn't all too impressed with the pattern as it wasn't as condensed as I would prefer at that yardage. The choke I "was" using was the one that came with the gun (remington extra full) not quite sure what the constriction is with that tube. But, and I hate saying this, .... I had to sell that gun and was left with my 1100. I have a 28" vent rib barrell on it and I have heard that the longer barrell helps it reach out a bit further? Well, I have shot that gun at ranges of 20, 30, 40, and 45 yds. and all will kill birds but was not satisfied with the patterning of the rem choke. I have recently bought the TruGlo Gobble Stopper choke and have yet to use it so I'm not quite sure how it will perform with my setup and what load to use. I have heard alot about the Hevi Shot both good and bad (the bad mainly being the price) and don't want to spend $$ on it if it doesn't even perform as expected or if I have the wrong choke to use while testing them. But that's turkey hunting for ya isn't it? Experimentation. I was researching the Comp-N-Choke and alot of people speak highly of them. I see that you believe Rhino's are a great buy and also the Kicks, Hastings and Jellyhead are getting honorable mention. I just used to think it came down to full, extra full, or super full chokes and that was it.... but now I'm learning a whole lot more about how much of a difference a tube (constriction) will make and with the shotshell used in combination with it. Lots to learn. With those numbers .665, .670 etc. what does that mean and how do I determine which is which when buying a new tube? I really appreciate your feedback guys!

st1 03-02-2005 08:31 AM

I did some patterning yesterday with an 870 express magnum using Win. Extended Range Hi- density loads in #5 and #6. Using a Trulock .665 TKY I averaged 146 pellets in a 10" circle with #6, 1 3/4oz loads. I havn't counted the #5 yet . Try to do it today and post tomorrow.

MKMGOBL 03-02-2005 11:09 AM

At what yardage?

tnichols 03-02-2005 12:35 PM

Jrockkilla

Get a Briley extended Hevi-shot turkey choke for your 870 ($30) buy 1 box of 3" HS turkey loads #5 ($17).
and pattern it. You want be sorry and you will never go back. I don't know what you have heard bad about hevi-shot but it is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. If you are concerned about cost, reload the stuff, its easy because it has to be hand weighed and loaded. Takes me about 30 minutes for 10 shells at .85 per shell. I have shot everything from 3.5 shells to muzzleloading shotguns at turkeys for 20 years. Hevi-shot is the best thing I have ever used for turkey hunting, and just plain puts a whoppin on ducks. I shot a hen mallard at 80 yards this year. Since then I have had to keep my buddies out of my shell box. I like to reload the stuff but the factory shells are just as good. I have killed 12 toms since I started using it 3 years ago and have not missed or crippled a bird. They drop like rocks. Pattern the stuff you will be amazed.

st1 03-03-2005 07:47 AM

I go the got counts on the Win. Extended Hi-density #5's done last night. This by no means conclusive for so few test shots but its all I had time for the other day. I 've got a lot more shooting left to do to come up with an average that means anything. Every thing is tested at 40 yds with Trulock Tky chokes and is the average of two shots. Here goes:

670 Rem. 870-93% in 30" circle, 118 hits in 10" ring
665 Benelli Nova-didn't count overall, paper got torn, 95 hits in 10 ring
660 Ben. Nova-94% in 30", 106 hits in 10 ring
690 Moss. 835-92% in 30", 123 hits in 10 ring

This Winchester stuff patterns better than Hevi shot. The lowest pellet count I had on the spine and brain was 9 with 15 being the highest.
Eight shots. Eight very dead birds.