HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Williams firesight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/92333-williams-firesight.html)

357bubba 03-01-2005 12:38 PM

Williams firesight

Simple question I know.....But which firesight combo do yall use. The bead or the whole set. I have a Benelli SBE.

Jollyarcher 03-01-2005 03:23 PM

RE: Williams firesight

I just picked one up and bolted it on last week. I know that most I've spoke to about the sight use both and swear by them.

I sighted mine in at the range for the first time recently and found that the front sight is too high. I run out of adjustment at the rear sight as a result of the high front bead.

So I now have a HiViz fiber optic front bead sight on the front and the Williams adjustable rear on the back. Looks good, less filling and the turkeys taste great. Less filling... tastes great... Williams sight, yup, it's all good.

357bubba 03-02-2005 09:12 AM

Preciate it. So does the universal set($33) come with front and rear sites, and does the firesight bead($16) only come with the front bead and no rear sight.

Jollyarcher, why do u think u had trouble with the front sight being too high?

Thanks

HOSS 03-02-2005 09:38 AM

I've had a set on my 11-87 for a couple of yrs. and think they are great It's abit tricky to get them mounted on your rib straight but once you do you'll love em'

Jollyarcher 03-02-2005 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 357bubba

So does the universal set ($33) come with front and rear sites, and does the firesight bead($16) only come with the front bead and no rear sight.

Jollyarcher, why do u think u had trouble with the front sight being too high?

Thanks
I'm not sure on your first question, but I can tell you that my sights came in at $39.99 with both the front and rear sight units. There is no model number on the package... just the title, "Universal Vent Rib Slugger Shotgun Fire Sight Set" across the back. I would bet you're right though... and at $33 scoots for both, you're getting a real good deal.

As far as why I had trouble, yup, I can answer right away. I do not get down onto the stock as tight as most shotgun shooters. It's all in the way I shoot, which is not a problem per say, since I can hit anything as accurately as the next fellow, and certainly nothing wrong with the sights. It's just that I prefer to keep a high cheek off the comb of the stock... espeically with 3 1/2" shells... as they get to slamming the face / cheek bone area pretty hard. I've been bruised by them, and that ain't no fun. As a result, I run out of elevation and must use a lower profile front sight. Not a big deal really, and I've not seen a better rear sight than the Williams... yet anyway.

357bubba 03-03-2005 08:06 AM

preciate the great info and advice!

Champlain Islander 03-03-2005 02:30 PM

Jollyarcher I had the same problem with a trueglo fiber optic sight that I put on my older model SBE. I always had trouble seeing the stock 2 small bead setup on the gun especially while looking through a camo vail. I figured the optic sights would work but I ran out of down adjusting room on the rear sight. Took them off and I guess I'll try a red dot. Any other suggestions?

MKMGOBL 03-03-2005 03:10 PM

Next year I might be going to this on one of my turkey guns or my handgun (Ruger 454)
It's cost some money but a real sweet sight.

BUSHNELL HOLOSIGHT

52-0021
Reticle: Standard, 65 M.O.A. Ring, 1 M.O.A Dot
Screen Size: 1.25" x .75"
Finish: Matte
Battery Life: 320 Hours
If you're looking for a fast sight, you'll be hard-pressed to find one quicker than the Bushnell® HOLOsight.® Lauded by experts as one of the most innovative gunsights ever made, the advanced holographic technology found within our HOLOsight lets you bead up on a target as quickly as you can raise your gun. It's that fast. HOLOsight projects the appearance of an illuminated crosshair 50 yards in front of your gun, yet no forward light is projected. Sight from any distance behind the gun without taking both eyes off of the target. Offers unlimited eye relief and an unlimited field-of-view. At half the size of a conventional sight, it fits easily on handguns, shotguns and rifles with a standard Weaver-style mount. FEATURES :
100% waterproof/fogproof/
shockproof
Illuminated crosshairs are visible in the lowest light
Unlimited (1/2" to 10 feet) eye relief
Instant target acquisition for faster, more accurate shots
Fits easily on handguns, shotguns and rifles with a Weaver-style mount
Low-battery warning and auto shut-off

Jollyarcher 03-03-2005 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Jollyarcher I had the same problem with a trueglo fiber optic sight that I put on my older model SBE... I figured the optic sights would work but I ran out of down adjusting room on the rear sight. Any other suggestions?
I think I gotcha covered. If you were adjusting down with the rear, you would have been trying to move your point of impact down. Then you ran outta room to lower the rear sight as a result of striking the barrel rib. If you like the rear sight you have now, (the Truglo), all you really need is a taller front sight.

So far, I've not seen anything taller than the one that Williams makes, nor anything as well machined. The Williams is bright and offers a fine fiber bead that won't cover up your target. It gathers light like a sponge and I like it a great deal. I also think it's well worth the 40 bucks I paid for the front / rear sight kit... strong and solid.

Unfortunately for me, the Williams front sight was just the opposite from what you need... it was too tall and I ran out of adjustment moving the rear sight up. So, to cure my problem I have to use the low, stock front sight (with an aftermarket fiber I bought), combined with the Williams adjustable rear sight. This get's me on target nicely.

Matter of fact, I've got that Williams tall front sight, that will bolt onto any size rib, new, just sitting in the package. I bet it would be just what you need to zero your gun in.

I'll scarf MK-M-GOBL's pic of the Williams front and post it... (he posted it for me last week when I was looking for a good fixed sight), so you'll see what I mean, it's much taller than stock and MK's pic is a good clear image.

Hey BTW, MK - I know that Holo-sight well... I've shot one mounted to a Heckler & Koch MP5 and it's super fast. Both eyes open with no paralax issues. Big dulla unit... but it's high quailty and rugged too. You get what ya pay for in optics these days. Alas, I can't get the wife to let me go Rhino, so there's not a snowballs chance in the Bahama's that I'll be buying a Holo for my turkey taker. LOL. Mom always liked you best, didn't she. [8D]

MKMGOBL 03-03-2005 07:15 PM

I'm not her favorite or spoiled, I'm just trying to get it all in now before my kid come along this April and puts a stop to it all[:o] I don't think I'll be telling her about this purchase. I've got a good friend that owns a sporting goods store, I'll just ask him if I could do a lay away plan or maybe a bady shower gift to my wife. More I thought about it tonight the more I wanted one. Might have to pay him a visit this weekend and see what exactly they cost. If I end up with one I don't want to hear it from you Jollyarcher! NOT ONE WORD

LMAOJust happen to look at my tube and saw what you wrote!You're a real character