Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Getting the call to stay in your mouth >

Getting the call to stay in your mouth

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Getting the call to stay in your mouth

Old 02-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting the call to stay in your mouth

I got my first diaphram call last night and can make close to the right sounds. The problem I am having is getting it into position, then keeping it there.

I have to use my fingers to put it up on the roof of my mouth, then push it up and hold it with my tonque. If move my tonque it falls out, when I start yelping it slides forward, almost feels like its being pushed.

How do I get it to stay up there, does it need to be trimmed?

Thanks

-Bob
Old 02-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Getting the call to stay in your mouth

First question, what call did you buy? Second question, is the tape keeping from going into place. If the first answer is a youth call of some form, it is to small for your mouth. If the second answer is yes, you need to trim the tape back. If you do this, do a very little bit at a time and trim until it fits. Next question, is it white tape, or one of the hard colored tapes. I personally use calls that have white tape. Chew it until soft and it makes a good seal. The hard tape was not comfortable and didn't seal as well for me.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

the call is from Mountain Hollow Game Calls. I bought it at an outdoor show from the guy who makes them. It's a double reed call. He suggested doing a single or double at first.

It has blue tape which is pretty stiff and seems to fit better the more I press it into the roof of my mouth which bends the call. I think I have a narrow pallete as well based on something my dentist said once.

I will try trimming it this weekend.

--Bob
Old 02-25-2005, 11:51 AM

If I were you, before I started trimming it, I have ruined a couple calls by trimming too much, I would play around with it in my mouth to get it softened up. I like the HS strut mouth calls but some of the tape on those are pretty stiff to start out and it takes awhile to break them in so they fit well and sound good. You can always trim them, but you can't put the tape back on. JMO
Old 02-25-2005, 12:25 PM

sounds like your new to mouth calling, do as the other guys have suggested,get used to the call being in your mouth and becareful not to swollow it,it will take some time and practice, you have choosen the right type of call, good luck
Old 02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mouth Call Placement

The key to mouth calls is Mouth call placement. Having the call placed in the right area in the palette. Another good start is a clear call with two reeds, thats a call with no cuts in the top reed ,(Twin Two)or (Begginner's double). I have found that alot of first timers are getting on the Scream'in Green Pro Triple aswell. Do not start out with a single reed or Raspy calls.

A new call taken from the package ,should be creased down around the frame of the calls tape ,so that you can see the top and bottom(Tab) of the call. If wanted you can cut down the tape in size as well, but I suggest only taking off about 1/16th at a time untill comford is found. Do not bend the frame if at all possible, this will loosen the laytex reeds and sound will drop off.

The mouth call should be set with the front of the Laytex on the middle part of your tongue. When placement is found, If you don't have the placement right then all the words that you mimic will not help you. The mouth call should be placed in with the Tab of the call down, and the Longest reed up. A beginner should have the gagging refex as the tape from the call is at the back of the throat. Just slightly off the back part of the palette on the fleashy tissue. This is normal and will go away with practice.

By placing your middle front of your tongue up on the call , you will hold more presure on the sides of your tongue up against your mollers to stop airflow from exscaping. The main flow of air is going to travel down the center crease of your tongue and out your mouth. You want to try to keep your lips only open only a little and allow the air to come out under your front teeth.

By using your jaw, and your Lungs/Diaphram/Tummy, your going to huff air and use your jaw to regulate the airflow that is exiting your mouth. On every note the caller needs to huff some air out to produce the sound. With the volume of air and the jaw action working togeather, will allow one too take off and apply presure with your tongue too the reed of the call to make the sound needed. By keeping the presure on the reed and huffing air from your chest (Diaphram) and mimicing the words (That have been sudjusted) you should get some sounds that are close to the calls you want. Practice is the next step.

First - Place the call into the proper spot on your tongue and place the Mouth Call up into the Palette, Through your nose you are going to take a deep breath of air and hold it in your chest, slightly open your mouth and softly say the word HECK and stop the air flow on the K of the word heck. At this point your Call, Air presure and Jaw should be in right spot to try the word Kee - Yuk for the yelp. The Kee part of the call is the High note of the yelp. This note has more presure applied then of the Yuk part. With out taking your togue off the call and dropping your jaw you will get the low note of the Yuk. By keeping a steady flow of air exhaling and appling presure to the mouth call with your tongue and using a on and off presure with your Jaw you should get the proper sounds to make the Yelp.

Yelp - 2 note call High and Low - Kee - Yuk or Che-Yuk speed the two togeather,
Kee or Che being the high note, and Yuk being the Low note

Tree yelp- very soft quiet yelps and limited to 4-5 in a slower rythem,a odd soft cluck can be added aswell to the yelping.

Cluck - One note, fast and cut off quick - Buck, it should sound more like Buk.

Cut - its a Cluck only faster and broken up in beat- with high and low notes mixed -Buk,Pic,Buk,Buk,Cuk Pik Pik,Buk,Pik Cuk Buk,Pik Buk - kind of beat.

Cackle - Is a cluck also , only start off with quiet slow Cluck then into a fast series of clucks then tapered to slow low notes. Buk,Buk, Cuk Cuk Cuk Cuk Cuk,Cuk,Buk,Buk,Buk.

The Cluck,Cackle,and Cut are all Clucks only done with different Beat and Pitch.

Purr, can be done a couple of different ways , by a flapping of the front part of your lips , as kids would do a moterboat in water , or like gargling with mouth wash in the back of the throat allowing the viberations to travel on the front part to the reeds.

After learning the calls another calling success to practice is the Cadence and form of each call , Rythem,Pitch and Tone. This is another important part of a hunters success rate.

Learning to control the call the proper way on every call is a knack that not all can do. I believe Good Calling Comp's with Top knotch callers can help one be a better hunter when it comes to the calling aspect. Not every bird can be fooled,but it sure gives one a lead on presured birds. I believe woodsmanship also plays a roll in the hunt but put the two hand in hand togeather and you can have a deadly hand of success.

Tip:
Mouth Calls , tend to break down over a hunting season. As moisture exsorbs in the laytex and more volume and presure is added to the call to make it work, latex tends to stretch or slip from the frame and the life/sound of the call starts to slip. Buying new calls before the start of the season is a good idea.

Hope that helps out and gets you started on the mouth call.

Adrian J Hare, QuakerBoy Game Calls
Old 02-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bod H you might want to try a better quality mouth call. Knight & Hale, Quaker Boy, or HS Strut make some good ones. Try soaking your call in some mouth call conditioner or mouth wash/water...
Old 02-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Bob H- I took the date off this flyer that I made up for his seminar. It should be sometime from the first to middle of April. I'll email you witrh the set date later if you want. You should come on up with your son and check it out. We have out different loads you can try for a $1 (keeps you from buying a whole box) and you can even try out choke tubes if your gun needs it. The seminar with Don is awesome part of the day You can ask questions during the talk or chat with him after it's over, he's there to help.

Duh[] I forgot to add the flyer!
Old 02-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

the call is from Mountain Hollow Game Calls. I bought it at an outdoor show from the guy who makes them. It's a double reed call. He suggested doing a single or double at first.

It has blue tape which is pretty stiff and seems to fit better the more I press it into the roof of my mouth which bends the call. I think I have a narrow pallete as well based on something my dentist said once.

I will try trimming it this weekend.
Before trimming it run some hot water over it for a few minets then put it in your mouth.

The hot water will soften it so it will confirm to the shape of your mouth.

Kinda like the mouth peace you put on your teeth for football.

Good Luck
Old 02-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can get the thing to stay in my mouth OK, but ....HOW DO YOU WORK THE STRIKER WITH YOUR TONGUE?

Great advice, guys!

Quick Reply: Getting the call to stay in your mouth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.