Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Getting the call to stay in your mouth >

Getting the call to stay in your mouth

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Getting the call to stay in your mouth

Old 03-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting the call to stay in your mouth

Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Game boys make it fun. We went 1 for 2, my 12 year old shot a 18 lb 20 minutes in, shot at about 20 feet. Older one with Mike had one but they repositioned to get away from a house and someone else shot the bird. Better safe and ethical that not, my son understood and agreed with the move. Kids switched rolls on youth deer weekend and 12 year old got skunked, 14 year old shot one!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

That's great they both got to at least tag this past year I think the kid I was calling for was way to young (6 years young) to be turkey hunting but they wanted to put him on a turkey hunting video. Went out three for four time and just had to pack it in after being busted each time. Told them to give me a call went he's 10 and we'll try it again Even though my tag was filled it was a great to get out and call for others and keep my season going. Doing my homework as a hunter to find lots of places to turkey hunt private and public land allows me to share what I know with others, young and old

So seeing your learning to use a mouth call means you'll be hitting the woods this year yourself? If you still need help ask Ron after the seminar is over to work with you one on one or stop up to the shop and talk to Jim. Tell your sons CONGRATULATION on the turkey and the deer
Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

the call is from Mountain Hollow Game Calls. I bought it at an outdoor show from the guy who makes them. It's a double reed call. He suggested doing a single or double at first.

It has blue tape which is pretty stiff and seems to fit better the more I press it into the roof of my mouth which bends the call. I think I have a narrow pallete as well based on something my dentist said once.

I will try trimming it this weekend.

--Bob
Bob try the Quaker Boy mini-mags calls. They are made for a narrow palate. I use them almost exclusevely.