Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Custom Calls

Old 01-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom Calls

For a custom Mouth Diaphram, I use the Raspy Red, and Green eyed Monster mouth Calls made by Run and Gun Game Calls. I also use their fool proof Raspy Ridge Box call.

As for a Glass friction call, I would have to say my cody is the best I have tried.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:36 PM

Shame on me, another late reply. I haven't been on the computer for a few days. I think my favorite custom call arrived today. I recieved my Blodgett Tough Country slate over glass. It's beautiful, I've never seen a call that looked this good. And it sounds great too, I think I'll use it for competition calling this year. My second favorite is my custom tube call made by Ron Clough of Maryland, you may've seen his stuff in the Midwest catolog under the name Close Calls. It's a great-looking little call too.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 01-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2002, 07:15 AM

Yankee,
The Blodgett slate is exactly what I was looking for. The biggest suprise was the volume, I've never gotten sound like that from a slate, only glass and aluminum. And man they have a ton of stuff on ebay, even some of the old hand-engraved calls. And most of it is going very cheap.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 01-13-2002, 07:20 AM

Now I personally prefer custom calls by Quaker Boy. But if you are looking for some unique calls try www.sharkeybayou.com

Ryan Tucker

Old 01-13-2002, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2002, 11:09 AM

I have better responce in the wood with custom calls than with a store bought calls. They look a whole lot better too. Tom Laska, Ron Clough, Ralph Permar just to name a few calls maker's I use

Old 01-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Custom all the way!!

However, I think the custom calls are more effective not because they are superior in quality (which most times they are), but rather because they are unique. Often times a unique or "special" hen call will get that gobbler to sound off and come in. With public birds, or even birds on private land that are hunted hard, the custom calls give the hunter an edge because odds are that nobody else in your area has that one-of-a-kind custom call besides you----that's the true benefit.

Example: Lynch makes great boxcalls, but they all are tuned almost identical. If you and your neighbor each have one and hunt the same bird...well, you get the picture. Now substitute your Lynch for a custom call, and see which call that gobbler chooses 9/10 times--that's right, the call he hasn't heard before (of course, this is based on the assumptions that your neighbor can handle a call as well as you can and the bird is a little call-shy).

Get yourself a custom call, you won't be sorry!!

And hell, when you're not too busy (now that I have a 16 month old daughter, I realize this is NEVER) dilly-dally around with making your own!!

Strut
Old 01-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

My box calls are all customs and I believe wholeheartedly they blow the doors off of the production stuff you buy at walmart. To name a few I have some widowmakers by Craig King, some Al Willis boxes, a beautiful limited run by Randy Russel of Wild Ones,and I have a close call box by Ron Clough that I just traded for.Not only do they blow the doors off the compettion but they yank the gobbles too.

Ive owned some super production crystal calls that I would put against most. the primos power crystal would be one. But for range of tone, quality of craftsmanship, and just plain looks you cant beat a hand turned custom call.The uniquesness of the calls sounds is also a definate plus when i hunt public land its a new sound and can make the differrence.

Pricewise I think the extra bucks are worth having something that you would proudly pass on to your son or daughter knowing good and well that not only will it still be a great call for years but the maker may be the next Neil Cost and demand high values in years to come.