Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

smart or not?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default smart or not?

I was watching American Hunter on T.V. when i noticed this guy crawling through the brush with a turkey feather stuck in his cap and then he sets up and starts calling i can only hope he was hunting private ground and sure there was no one else around i certainly would not recomend doing this your thoughts
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Default RE: smart or not?

Its Not Smart, Lota Gun Happys Out There...But It Could Be Tradition For Him
Old 02-16-2005, 11:19 AM

I have heard of people taking a feather from thier first kill and putting in thier hat, but to be crawling around in the field with one , in my opinion, is just stupid and asking for trouble. Maybe he is looking at starting a new tradition ... dodging shot.

You got to remember though if you saw it on tv it was most likely a game preserve and no other hunters around. So, thids guy was mostlikely safe. Wouldn't recommend it for most of us though.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the hunting shows amaze me. Last year I posted about a show that I saw where a guy took a turkey fan and held it in front of his face to try and bring in a strutting Tom. Having a feather in your hat is bad enough, but masquerading as a strutting bird is INSANE! What kills me is the new hunters may be checking this out thinking this is how it should be done. I think the guy said something like don't try this at home, but in my opinion airing something like that is just irresponsible. Also, I always wonder about the shows where the deer hunter is wearing orange, but the guide is not... I suppose guides are bullet proof...
Old 02-16-2005, 01:26 PM

I have a Friend that will do whatever is needed to affix a Tag on a Bird. Iv witnessed him Stalk a Gobbler in a Field, that was 100 or so yards away, well into the Turkey Season, with a Carry Light Hen Decoy Sitting on his Head, while he crawled through the Medium High Grass, with his head and Decoy just a Bobbin. Damm Fool! He killed the Bird, and once he zeros in on a Gobbler, he usually finds a way to Tag Him. Did I mention that he is not Right in the Noggin!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your buddy sounds like one awsome turkey shooter
Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM

in no way do I want to have anything on my person that has anything that looks like any kind of bird,durning turky season.

as for the hunter orange.some states ; state that "a hunter" has to wear so much hunter orange.only "a hunter".anyone else can tromp through the woods wearing anything they want as long as they are not carring a weapon and hunting license.they have a hunter, a guide , a camera man , and the only one that has to have it on is the hunter???????????makes a lot of since to me [][&:][&:].as you said guides are bullet proff I guess.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

RIStrut Stopper I would agree that is insane hard to believe video producers would allow such things to be aired
Old 02-18-2005, 09:23 PM

You would have to be a real idiot to shoot at a guy with a feather in his hat. Once when in college at siu I took a guy jump shooting woodies on a creek. He was an amateur but he kept asking me. Anywas a crow jumped up and he instantly smoked him. He didnt identify his target. It could have been a baby in a stroller and he would have shot it! Needless to say i never hunted with that stroke again. S o I guess they sadly are out there.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats risking a lot. I don't think that is a smart hunting tactic at all. There are many hunters out there who'll shoot at anything.

Quick Reply: smart or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.