Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

head shot vs body shot

Old 02-24-2005, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: head shot vs body shot

Charlie P you don't by any chance have a library full of hunting video's do ya?
I own two don't even know where they are.

To anyone that does shoot in the body.How much edible meat is left after you blast it?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's talk about something else.....
Old 02-24-2005, 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I want a wall full of beards and spurs like you private property guys but unfortunately that's never going to happen. I have to hunt my tail off just to have one chance at a turkey... Birds just don't come running in waving a flag saying shoot me shoot me So after you have a lot of your hard work getting flushed down the drain you just might reconsider you position on roost shooting.
That statement right there's sounds like you'de do it in a heart beat to get your wall full of beards.
Private, public, or whatever -- roost shooting has no legitimate place in the wonderful sport of turkey hunting.

Hal
Old 02-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seriously though isn't shooting a turkey in the body sorta like shooting a deer in the hind quarters. You might get your quarry but your ruining alot of good meat.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: determined

havent seen this subject yet,and i always have made head shots always thinking i could cripple the bird with a body shot.i run scenerios through my head aroung springtime and what if my shot was obstructed or the bird sensed me at lets say 20 yards head tucked in.i dont think i would take the shot but the safety is off and im excited.i know the turkey is well protected and a large bird.what do you guys think,have you ever made a body shot and with what results?

I don't know which taste better!, WIN-REM-or FEDS? Determined, I have enough silver in my mouth......Don't
need lead also. If it works for you....Do it!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hawglips

I want a wall full of beards and spurs like you private property guys but unfortunately that's never going to happen. I have to hunt my tail off just to have one chance at a turkey... Birds just don't come running in waving a flag saying shoot me shoot me So after you have a lot of your hard work getting flushed down the drain you just might reconsider you position on roost shooting.
That statement right there's sounds like you'de do it in a heart beat to get your wall full of beards.
Private, public, or whatever -- roost shooting has no legitimate place in the wonderful sport of turkey hunting.

Hal

Against the LAW in Florida!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

How old are you and how many gobblers have you harvested over the years???
I'll be 42 in April only been hunting Turkey for four years killed three.That's what I'm talking about ,I'm not willing to cheapen the hunt to put some bragging beards on the wall.It's not about everything you have on the wall it's how it got there.My son just started Turkey hunting he's hasn't got a turkey when he does it won't be off the roost and I know he won't take a body shot cause it's all he's got.

Hunting is not a competition for me. That's why I didn't get into the buck contests in the bow forum nor will I get into the Turkey hunting competition on here.

Like I said it's nothing personal, there's people I've known for years and I'm friends with that I won't hunt with.
CHARLIE P, I AGREE WITH YOU 100%
Old 03-23-2005, 10:02 AM

Bowhunting...

Almost always a body shot

Shotgun'n...

Always a head shot!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot for there legs !!!!! No meat destroyed And I like to chase the bird for hundreds of yards floping around.

If they set down on there legs I thoot them in the body. This way I can chases them for miles as they can run about 50 mph you would think if you are behind them :}

I shure hate to head stoot them they just fall over kicking :{ I dont get any running :{
Old 03-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

rebel hog,you like to stir the pot,i did not say it works for me or implied that it ever would.some hunters said they did and give honest accounts of the result,and most say they never would.either way i appreciated every post on the subject up until yours.elkinmtcwb thats either a bad joke or your just plain ignorant.

Quick Reply: head shot vs body shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.