Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

head shot vs body shot

Old 02-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: head shot vs body shot

Most 12ga 3" mags with a super full choke will drop a gobbler in his tracks at 15 yards. Excluding mosberg 500
Old 02-21-2005, 11:50 AM

A head/neck shot is the way to go. If you can't putt, whistle -- he'll poke his head up, but you better be on him as soon as he does.

Hal
Old 02-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mr. longbread after reading this

If I had a gobbler at 15 yards or less I would not hesitate to take a body shot if thats the only shot I had...
and this
I want a wall full of beards and spurs like you private property guys but unfortunately that's never going to happen. I have to hunt my tail off just to have one chance at a turkey... Birds just don't come running in waving a flag saying shoot me shoot me So after you have a lot of your hard work getting flushed down the drain you just might reconsider you position on roost shooting. Were legal
please forget I ever said

Mr. Longbeard you ever decide to give NYS a try drop me an e-mail.
Nothing personal but are ethics are too far apart to hunt together.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie P got another ?for ya if it's not to personnel. How old are you and how many gobblers have you harvested over the years???
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM

I learned the hard way when i was younger, Iwas new to turkey hunting and took my dads 10ga. I thought it would kill anything. I shot a gobbler in the body three times with 3.5 #4's at about 15 yds and rolled him all three times, as FAR AS i KNOW HE IS STILL RUNNING! I will shoot them in the head or not shoot at all.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

How old are you and how many gobblers have you harvested over the years???
I'll be 42 in April only been hunting Turkey for four years killed three.That's what I'm talking about ,I'm not willing to cheapen the hunt to put some bragging beards on the wall.It's not about everything you have on the wall it's how it got there.My son just started Turkey hunting he's hasn't got a turkey when he does it won't be off the roost and I know he won't take a body shot cause it's all he's got.

Hunting is not a competition for me. That's why I didn't get into the buck contests in the bow forum nor will I get into the Turkey hunting competition on here.

Like I said it's nothing personal, there's people I've known for years and I'm friends with that I won't hunt with.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mr lonbeard, Let me ask you a question: How old are you abd who's your hunting mentor?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this argument is silly.

Provided that you are using a good patterning gun, with 3" or 3 1/2" mag. hi velocity ammo, any hit at 10 yards or less is going to horribly maim your target.

A headshot at that range will result in a partially or completely headless turkey, you'll have to trust me on that. A body shot will blow BB's and feathers 4 inches deep into the bird's flesh. I have NEVER had a bird get away after a solid body shot of 10 yds or less. Further, I see nothing wrong with taking that shot - it is no different than placing an arrow in the same location.

Body shooting a gobbler at extremely close range doesn't make a guy a bad hunter, the sky won't fall, and no crimes have been committed.

I think we were simply making the point that at those ranges, pattern size can range from 1-4", which compromises your ability to hit a 3" target (head). If you don't wanna miss, shoot for the big part, plain and simple.

If your area has armor-plated turkeys or your shells are sissyfied or you have a moral dilemma with it, then by all means, don't do it. It's no reason to bash another guy for trying to get a bird in whatever way he's comfortable with (within the confines of the game laws).

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating breaking any laws, poaching birds, roost shooting, road hunting, stalking or any other illegal means of taking your bird. I'm simply saying that you can take a turkey with a high level of consistency by taking a body shot at less than ten yards.

If you only take headshots, that's your prerogative and I respect it. I only take headshots when my pattern is large enough to provide a little margin for error, but I'm not a very good shot, so I need to compensate. Lots of people are better marksmen than I.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

i have read every word of every post and i thank all of you for your input.it seems to be a debate close to home.some say yes at close range with the right gun,most say no regardless.the way i see it this is why we have this excellent forum,so we can discuss this and other issues and make a educated choice at the LAST SECOND.i know this, none of us want to cripple a turk.thanx guys.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Body shots are a no-no. Turkeys r one tuff critter and will likely get away from you only to die unrecovered. Now after the first shot and the bird is escaping, perhaps from a less than perfect shot( it happens to us all from time to time), then shooting at all the bird becomes unavoidable!

Quick Reply: head shot vs body shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.