Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

where to hunt em???

Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM

Default where to hunt em???

i hunt in a place where i have the option to hunt a field or in the woods. which would be better for turkey???
Old 02-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: where to hunt em???

If you have all the land to yourself I would try the fields first thing then fall back to the ridges. They usually hit the fields early in the am and it is pretty easy to get a good set up with some limited calling. Unfortunately the crowds usually congregate around fields on the public land where I hunt so I go up on the ridges first thing and call them up hill.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Scouting should answer that question. I have found that the best way to kill a turkey is to already be where they want to go. If they land in the field in the morning, hunt there. Otherwise, find where they land, and be there early.....I mean early. If you can't get em off the roost....again, be where they want to go. They have places they hang out, find them, and you'll kill them.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:26 PM

Ahhh the eternal question, the eternal answer I dont know. Set up on the roost than adjust.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here, they like to head for water right off the roost. Then look for food. On rainy days, definately the fields. On most days, I'd go for the fields later. Usually toms have hens with them right away in the AM. Wherever the hens go to look for food, the tom will follow. Later, as the hens are off laying eggs, the toms seem to head for open strutting areas to try to attract more hens.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

id go in and try to hear a gobble...i'd probably hunt the treeline...but as long as you scout and know where the birds will be/should be.....you better your odds.....if you dont hear that gobble