Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Some Questions for the Pro's? >

Some Questions for the Pro's?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Some Questions for the Pro's?

Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Some Questions for the Pro's?

Ok guys I am very new to Turkey hunting and I have some questions? Ok I have land that has plenty of turkeys and I know they are out there. During deer season I had put out some corn for the deer and the turkeys ate it. So should I put a feeder up out there, And do I hunt from a treestand, groundblind, or in some brush? What kinds of calls work the best for yal? Do you use decoys, if so what kind how many? Well I have never done it before but it sounds like it would be fun. I would like to hear your thoughts.

I hunt in Oklahoma if that matters......
Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some Questions for the Pro's?

Look up in the uppper right corner of this page in the links and click on "search". Put in "new to turkey hunting" (in quotes) or 'advice' (not in quotes) and you will find links to all kinds of muses and rememberances handed down by these sages over the eons.

Hope you have lots of time for reading,... there is plenty of it![]
Old 02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

You don't want to bait them. It's illegal in most places and it's just no fun to ambush them like deer. Get a Lynch box call or a Primos Box Cutter box call, any of them are OK, and practice. Find some turkey sounds on the internet (NWTF site has some..NWTF.org) and practice up.
They can see real well so set up with some cover near where they roost or where they are seen regularly and give it a try.
Keep reading on hunting them and you will learn a lot before the season starts. When the first gobbler answers you in the morning and comes working in to your calling, you WILL be hooked! Practice on a good box call and pattern your shotgun and you'll be off to a good start.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Tail Feathers thanks for the help. I am going to take a trip to my local bass pro this weekend and invest in some equipment. Do you use decoys?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Hey,
I would check your local laws on baiting, because in most states, you can't bait turkeys. If you are just starting, I would say set up on the ground in a blind or in some good cover. I would also look into buying a couple of decoys, but the more you get in to turkey hunting, you will learn when and when not to use them, for example in late season when the birds have been hunted and they are usually decoy shy. But if you are the only one hunting these birds, they may not be decoy or call shy later in the season. Good luck this spring!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

awwwwwwww man i cant wait.....kentucky's opener is aril 15, then ohio's is april 18th.....its gonna be own like a pot of kneck bones.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Spike

Buckmasterflex, where are you located in OK, I am in Sequoyah county and would be willing to come call for you and give you some tips. I am not a pro but I have killed a few and called up a few for others. Don't put up the feeder it is against the law here in OK. Decoys are good but not completely necessary. Also your location in the state makes some difference are you hunting Rios or Easterns it does make some difference. If you don't want my help that is cool. I hunt both sides of the state so let me know if you want to get together. I also promise I won't bring a gun, I am not looking for someplace to hunt just would like to help out. It is addictive.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I use decoys about half the time. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Pick up a FeatherFlex or two if you want but if you can call, they aren't a necessity. A hen will do, a hen and a jake sometimes drives the old tom mad enough to come right in and beat up on the jake decoy.
The best bet is to take someone like OKIERUT up on his offer. No better way to learn than from someone with experience. Besides, it's a blast to meet new hunters.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:15 PM

I love it when somebody post that they are new to turkey hunting and have property that has turkey and want some advise on how to hunt them and all the good sameritans come out and offer to come on his property and help him call turkeys When was the last time that somebody offered to take a total stranger on there private property to show them how it's done??? I'm sure he'll do just fine if he's hunting unpressured birds And if they are pressured then hell just become a better turkey hunter from it
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Remarkably, I didn't have that problem. I had virgin, never before hunted turkeys when I started hunting and no one offered to come help me kill them!
I have learned on my own, and from the folks on the internet here and only now, am I offered "help" to eradicate those pesky turkeys from my hunting area.
Yes, one should be careful on who one picks to learn from.
But I thought it kind of okierut to offer to come call for BMF rather than offer to come kill birds with him. That's a generous offer from a person who evidently loves to work the birds, no matter who is manning the gun.

Quick Reply: Some Questions for the Pro's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.