Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Shooting turkeys on the roost >

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Old 02-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting turkeys on the roost

I don not even know if is legal to ROOST POACH in the states i hunt
Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 AM

Wouldn't even dream of it, although I did shoot a gobbler once that flew up in a tree to get a better view of my calling position. He sure wasn't "roosted"......just wiley!

Now, can I assume that nobody here that's opposed to shooting roosted gobblers, would go to central America to get their Ocellated to complete their "World Slam?" That's how 99% of them are killed, although Lovett Williams says that he's been calling some in during the past couple of seasons. Myself, I have absolutely not the slightest interest in killing an Ocellated, just to say that I've done it.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:11 AM

What makes it even worse to me is that the guy brags about shooting turkeys on the roost, and at the same time is bragging that he is taking 5 or 6 birds a year, so it's not like he needs to shoot them on the roost to get one, I think he just likes shooting stuff.

I went back and read the site and it looks like he took some flak and pulled the two articles about shooting turkeys on the roost, but he seems to have some support for limb shooting, so maybe the stories will come back. The guy sounds like he thinks he is a turkey God or something. He and some of his people think nothing is wrong with shooting 5 or 6 birds a year, and knocking them off a brach to do it. I think it's sad.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:39 AM

It doesn't sound very sporting to me. I've only been turkey hunting for a few years, but never considered shooting one on a limb just to say I killed a turkey, or in this case, a bunch of turkeys. What is there to be proud of to be bragging on a web site? []
Old 02-27-2005, 07:01 AM

It's illegal here in Ohio. Kind of defeats the purpose of hunt'in them. I don't need meat that bad!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:53 AM

I have heard Rumors Of people shooting turkeys from there Roost , Maybe even know one, But its not right...........I know a Gent that Waits just as turkey flys down & shoots him, Hes handicaped thou.....Arthitis in his shoulders....But he still makes it out every year & hes in his late 40s .....& he only uses a 20 gauge to turkey hunt, So gives turkeys A slight advantage ....Some people may dissagree even so If you knew What kind of Hunter this guy used to be, You would understand......

But Guys that Stalk Turkeys In thick wooded areas, Like up here in southern Tier NY ..... Last year Was calling & off about 30 yards seen this movement, It was gray in color,just off on other side of this hip, Thought it was a hen Sneaking around me, Thank god it was Spring i was hunting during & not fall Or i would have taken this guys head right off....After he Screwed up my morning hunt, I walked up & even knew him & said, Buddy Do that again & some happy trigger finger hunter will shoot you, & walked away pissst.......
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are worried about me!!!!!

[ But Guys that Stalk Turkeys In thick wooded areas, Like up here in southern Tier NY ..... Last year Was calling & off about 30 yards seen this movement, It was gray in color,just off on other side of this hip, Thought it was a hen Sneaking around me, Thank god it was Spring i was hunting during & not fall Or i would have taken this guys head right off....After he Screwed up my morning hunt, I walked up & even knew him & said, Buddy Do that again & some happy trigger finger hunter will shoot you, & walked away pissst.......
[/quote]
Old 03-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Illegal in Fl.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

What are we talking shooting any out of a tree or shooting after dark?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

its illegal here in fl.i was setting up the other morning,about 5:45a.m. and BOOM.i know that the private landowner shot that bird out of the roost...i just dont know who it is....if nothing else i would of liked to give him a piece of my mind.......not only did he shoot right as it was getting light enough to see, but he scared the blank out of me, lol.............

Quick Reply: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.