Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Shooting turkeys on the roost >

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Old 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Default RE: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Hell I Got My First Turkey Outa The Roost..After Hunting Many Days I Figured Hey Ima Try It..First Year Hunting Turkeys And Last Day, I Snuck Up And They Turkeys Flew But One Stayed I Shot....It Was Hard Sneaking Up To The Tree. Now I Dont Even Think About Trying It, But Heck For A 1st Turkey I Did It.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:48 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: jrbsr

Wheres the chalange at ?
You Try Sneaking Up To A Tree There In!
Its Hard...Altho I Dont Like It...Its Very Hard
Old 02-04-2005, 10:18 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Ethics are persoinal.
there for if it is leagle I have no problem with someone doing it.

I would not but if some one else did who am i to judge?

It would be my guess that it is not a standerd tactic where its leagle.
I would say its more of a target of optunity.

Some one out deer hunting or some other form of hunting just happans across a roost and they get one.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

guys, it's only a turkey, for crying out loud. in vt, it is legal to shoot one off the roost. haven't done, have a boss that did, i think he knew that i wasn't terribly impressed, but it was his moment of opportunity, so he took it. and by the way, stalking is way harder to do on a bird than to call them in, that's how i do it. sorry, i just don't have any respect for these things, i like to shoot them, but they are the dumbest creatures on the earth, if you ask me. know here is a twist to the question, i watched a couple of guys trying to sneak up on a flock, knew they were going to mess it up in the fall. so, i set up a few hundred yards away, sure enough they busted, and it sounded like world war three. i saw the whole show, not one bird fell. two flew down towards me where i was sitting, next to the pavement, across from posted land. i saw one hit the ground running, tried to find him, couldn't, but heard another above me, took it out of the tree and brought it home. now, how do you feel about the situation? by the way, the hunters went the direction of the main flock, so i wasn't stepping on their toes.
Pat
Old 02-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You shoot one out of the roost on one of my leases and it will be your last opportunity to hunt there legal or not!!!!Irregardless of the ethics involved here,to me its a huge safety issue!!I have been on a # of occasions set-up on a roosted gobbler to suddenly have a some dood send a load of magnums sailing just over my head!!!Its a sick feeling to be settled in on a roosted gobbler to suddenly have somebody go blazing at the birds while there roosted!Lowlight hours present difficulty in identifying your target AND whats beyond,besides the iminent possibilty of making a poor shot crippling a bird!We have alot of uneven country here and it is extremely dangerous to to shoot where one cannot see clearly through the limbs and leaves,and now with the progression of heavi-shot and other loads delivering more down range energy making them lethal at greater distances makes it that much more of a safety issue!!What scares me even more are the states where rifles come into play here!!Learn to call them in and apply some good woodsmanship you'll get alot more out of the sport without the possibilty of an accident in this regard!!!Bob
Old 02-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt do it, that is one reason it took so long for me to get my first bird...if they are roosted, it's not an issue, there is no shooting it.....
Old 02-06-2005, 08:17 AM

If it's legal and the person is just wanting to kill a Turkey I suppose it would be OK

It is a good woodsman who can sneak on a flock in the Fall, but the Spring woods seem a bit easier [to me] to move in without detection.

Old day turkey hunters in the deep south would kill em however they could and off the roost was common.

Personally I've never done it. Been tempted as I had one strutting and Gobblin on a big limb a few years back, but I waited till he hit the ground and called him in a couple steps before it ended.

If your a Turkey Sniper then that's what you are. I'm a Turkey HUNTER. And would rather listen to Bluegrass.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:20 AM

thats not hunting, and the calling is the greatest part of turkey hunting. I dont see the point of just sneaking up on one and blasting it out of a tree
Old 02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I respect them birds too much too shoot them off the roost does not seem to me it would take awhole lot of skill or woodsmanship too do it that way
Old 02-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with several of the latest posts. I believe it is a safety issue as well as un- sportsman like. Kind of like going to a game ranch, picking your trophy out of a book, kill it and pay the fee. Hunting???hell no.

Quick Reply: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.