HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Are Cody call over-rated?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/88916-cody-call-over-rated.html)

Mathewsbow1 02-01-2005 11:20 PM

Are Cody call over-rated??

I have not heard much about Cody calls on this forum. I'm new to Turkey hunting and have read great things about Cody but it seems they are extremely proud of their calls. Are they worth the money. If not, what calls do you suggest I start with. I'm looking for a box call and a slate or glass call. I will be hunting primarily in TN!!

Any input would be grealy appreciated.

Thanks and good hunting!!
jt

ShallowRio 02-02-2005 05:10 AM

RE: Are Cody call over-rated??

At $50 each? I'd say so, There is a lot of custom pot calls out there for $35 -$45
And will come with a heckova lot nicer striker. Try Kaiser Kalls or Prairie Game Calls,

Turk_man 02-02-2005 06:02 AM

Now are you talking a Cody Woodsman or a World Class? Because if I remember correct alot of guys say the World Class is one of the best sounding calls made. It isn`t real fancy but sound is whats important, right?

slicendice 02-02-2005 06:23 AM

Personally, I think a call is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I also think confidence in the call is important. If you have a lot of confidence in a call, chances are that you'll use it in more situations and therefore, the more success you'll have with it. The bottom line is use what you like and are confident with.

Slice

RIStrutStopper 02-02-2005 11:10 AM

Spend $15 and buy an Knight and Hale Ol' yeller. Great slate-type call to start with. I'm sure many on this forum would agree. Andy Kaiser does make a nice call though...

mathewsconquest2 02-02-2005 11:57 AM

I have purchsed Primo's and Quacker slate/glass calls and they are ok. If I had it to do over again, I would have done it right by getting a Cody. My hunting buddy has one and the sound is outstanding. The Cody hasn't failed him yet. With a guy with a handle as good as Mathewsbow1, you have to understand that buying quality the first time is the only way to go.

-Mathewsconquest2

C120 02-02-2005 12:09 PM

I've had a Cody Woodpot II. It was a good sounding glass friction call that I think I paid $45 for at a show in Charlotte. Something came unglued inside and they wanted another $15 to repair it. In my opinion, they make good calls but they don't stand behind their products and I personally will never have another one for that reason.

GATurkHunter 02-02-2005 12:13 PM

I own a bunch of slate calls both off the shelf and custom and I must admit alot of times I end up using the Cody. Bought mine several years ago though. If I'm not mistaken Cody is now making all the slate calls for RedHead so much more mass produced now?
For the money I say find a nice custom and pay the guy working in his basement.

slee 02-02-2005 11:04 PM

I think you have to look at what you are getting, and how much time and personal touch has gone into making a call. If it is a custom call, the maker has spent time turning it on a lathe to his specs. He sands, finishes, assembles, and usually tests it. He's got a design that he likes, and knows what sound he wants to get out of the call. There is a also a time factor involved in the cost. It is truly like a piece of art. I would say that if the Cody call is custom, maybe it is worth it. If it is mass produced, I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it. You can buy good custom calls for that price or a little more. But if it makes you feel more confident and harvest more birds, maybe it is worth it.

benhuntin 02-03-2005 10:06 AM

I have three of Andy Kaisers calls. The double glass call is my all time favorite. Hard to beat.
I have a cody slate and it does sound good but you can get a equal or better custom call
same or less.