Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Choke tube - question about the Rhino >

Choke tube - question about the Rhino

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke tube - question about the Rhino

Old 01-31-2005, 06:42 AM

Default Choke tube - question about the Rhino

I have seen all the crazy threads about choke tubes.... I have seen that the Rhino and nitro ammo will produce ridiculous patterns and that is really exceptional. My question is how does the Rhino choke tube perform with other brand ammo than the Nitro. The reason I ask is that if I spend 100$ on a tube for my 835 then I will probably be stuck with that tube for a while. Knowing that I wonder what the performance would be with other brands ammo ( lead and hevi ).

Just want to know what I am getting into. Because if it looks like I will be locked into by the more pricey nitro ammo then I will probably buy a few cheaper tubes to try out. Seeing that some of the tubes like the StarDot and the H.S. chokes are producing good results at 40 yards, they look appealing. I was also looking at the CompNChoke and GobblinThunder tubes as well but they won't play nice with hevi and I would like the flexibility to use lead or hevi.

Maybe I am asking too much from one choke, but I would like to find the best comprimise between price and performance, but if the Rhino performs excellently all around then I can justify the extra price.

Thanks for any input....
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke tube - question about the Rhino

After buying the Rhino choke tube specifically to shoot only Nitro loads out of it, I can't tell you how it would do shooting other loads. That's something that you will have to do on your own, and then post the results. Most factory loads cost anywhere from $7-9.00 per box of 10. Trying to find out what factory load shoots best of a Rhino choke will surely cost a few bucks to find that info out. I'm sticking with Nitro, that is the best dang pattern I ever seen come out of a shotgun for turkey hunting.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:59 AM

I think that a Rhino choke would perform like other good chokes with factory loads. It might just take awhile to find the best one. I`m sure that if you tried a couple of different loads from a couple different companies you would find a load that would work great.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:02 PM

Williams, I shoot hevi out of a choke that came with my benelli. Now all this I'm saying is my own opinion. I bought a new GT choke (Ithink the constriction was .680) and my regular modified choke (.695 constriction) that came with my benelli out shot the GT. The reason was the GT choke compressed the shot so much that when the shot exited the barrel it flared out alot more. Now thats with Hevishot 3 1/2" #5's. I called remington one time when hevi shot came out becasue I was going to buy one of the "hevi shot chokes" for my benelli & I asked the gut what was the constrition on the hevi shot chokes and he told me it was .695, so I would have been buying a choke that I already had. I know alot of people will disagree with what I have to say but newer, tighter chokes are not always the best. Bottom line, decide what ammo your going to use then shoot it with all your chokes to see what works best. Again all of that is just my 2 cents.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Rem Super-Mag with a Rhino .660 choke and it has shot everything from lead to Hevi-Shot exceptionally well except #4 shot in anything and it scatters it pretty bad.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul . I can't wait for the day that you and I have the Ol Gun draw at the ranch and see how these 2 chokes perform, and its going to be on Canadian soal brother ...BT
Old 01-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!! OK Adrian, as long as you buy the beer!! LOL!!