HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkey Hunting Seats (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/88275-turkey-hunting-seats.html)

Criggster 01-28-2005 07:15 AM

Turkey Hunting Seats

I have always used a turkey vest with a fold-up padded seat. It works OK, but I was thinking of getting a web strap type seat. The problem I have is rocks, tree roots, and a sloping hillside make for a rough sit. I thought the aluminum frame web seat may make the steep hillside easier to sit on. I sometimes slide around a little because the padded vest seat is slick. Are they worth the extra bulk and weight? Anyone use a seat or other apparatus?

JW 01-28-2005 08:29 AM

RE: Turkey Hunting Seats

I do!

I have one four legged web-strap seat that has different heights to the front and back legs. This allows me to postion it for hills or flat surfaces.

It has a strap that is easily slid over my sholder to I can get up and move quickly. In addition I also use a boat cushion to which I have also applied a shoulder strap.

Even though my vest has a built in seat I use these more and never leave home with out them.

I have pics but need to attah them later as work won't let me do it! Dang@!!!

JW

Two Beards 01-28-2005 01:37 PM

Criggster,
They are much more comfortable the the thin pads that hang from
turkey vests. I bought my first fold out seat 3 years ago (HS Strut/Specialties) and loved it right from the start, heck, I even use it for squirrel hunting:). It is so light I don't even know I'm carrying it...it can't weigh much more than a pound or so. It's also quiet when folding out the legs, something to consider when having to set up quickly on a close bird.

I was lured into buying a Buck Wing (w/the adjustable height on the legs) at my bowshop last spring. The adjustable height on the legs is a definite plus, however, they are very loud when snapped into place. I was able to "deal" with the noise in exchange for the comfort.....BUT, on the last day of my season, somehow I crushed the frame while sitting on it???
I got my gobbler, but have no idea how that frame crushed so easily? Oh yea, I weigh 165 lbs[&:]

Needless to say, I'm bach with my HS Strut;)

maytom 01-28-2005 01:58 PM

I agree with you on the H.S. Strut turkey seat's as well. I had both models, the fixed leg and the folding leg model. I much prefer the folding leg model because of the extra leg brace, this stops you from sinking in to far into soft ground!! I weigh over 240 lbs, and I love this seat!!!
I had it with a sore tail bone from sitting on the seat cushion, that comes with all vests, for hours each day!! After a few days, I can't even sit anymore due to it being very painful!!! The H.S. Strut seat is the answer!!
Only way to go in my opinion!!!
;)

ultimag 01-28-2005 08:24 PM

H.S.STRUT seats are great well worth it

Gobbling Buck 01-28-2005 08:44 PM

Another vote for the HS Strut seat. I use the cushion in my vest for my back and actually add another cushion to the upper back on my vest and I have two thin cushions added to the web seat. Sounds like a lot of extra stuff, but the way I have it rigged it is easy to carry and IMHO you are a more effective hunter when you are comfortable. I know I am, I have 3 compressed vertabre in my lower back and without the comfort, I would probably never get anything.

JW 01-29-2005 10:45 AM

here are my seats.

Criggster 01-30-2005 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input; I bought a buckwing seat. Unfortunately, it was before I read the comment above. I hope that it holds up as I weigh 200. I thought about the sounds of the adjustable seat. I will try to pre-adjust it before using it.