HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Barrel Length -- How much of a factor (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/87400-barrel-length-how-much-factor.html)

williams1075 01-21-2005 06:50 PM

Barrel Length -- How much of a factor

What do you prefer? Long or short barrel on a turkey shotgun? Could you please give a reason for your answer. Thanks for any input.

turkeyhunter_15 01-21-2005 07:07 PM

RE: Barrel Length -- How much of a factor

I Have 26" I Dunno Much About Lengh Cept Shorter Less Hannging And Snagging Brush

TDB_OUTDOORS 01-21-2005 10:40 PM

Talked with experience gunsmith last week. He said " anything over 20" slows your load down and break down effective pattern". I'm going shorter myself if I can find a shorter barrel for my Lefty Benelli.

Gobble, Gobble......Bang

ELKINMTCWB 01-21-2005 11:01 PM

mmmmmmmmmm goose gun long barrel long range shooting

stage coach gun short barrel short range shooting

The only real way to figer this out woud be to do your own reserch by shooting the guns. People now days just say things to sell guns :}

Wingbone 01-22-2005 03:46 AM

Barrel length probably has little affect on pattern. I think up to a point, a longer barrel will get you a little more velocity. But I think the biggest factor is that a longer barrel will give you a longer, more accurate sight plane.
If you look at photos of the competitors at the turkey load patterning matches, none of them have a short barrel.

Adrian J Hare 01-22-2005 05:14 AM

The reason I have a 31 in myself , but I have seen the shorter barrels shoot just as good of a pattern, If I had it all to do again , I would go short ...BT

Bobgobble2 01-22-2005 12:05 PM

Like Wingbone mentioned I like the length of a longer site plane myself (32inch's),for me it tends to balance a little better also!The biggest disadvantage that I've encountered with the longer barrels is they are a little harder to maneuver in tight places and thicker woods!!:)

12 pointer 01-23-2005 08:05 AM

I have an 835 with a 24 inch barrel, I would say around 24 inches is about the best overall. It is well balanced, easy to get through brush, and it patterns good. I have never tried a longer barrel so i have nothing to compare to, but I like mine.

ShotGunEd 01-26-2005 06:02 AM

My 11-87 has a 26" barrel. It's my turkey/duck gun. I'd rather shoot a turkey with a 26" barrel then TRY to shoot a duck with a 21" barrel. Like was said earlyer, longer sighting plain. Works for me.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-26-2005 06:30 AM

Not that any of us can do much about it but the length of the barrell in relationship to the length of your arm is the right way to determine what is best for you. I would never have believed but a friend of mine makes custom big game rifles that go for anywhere from $8000 to $35,000. He measured me and determined the optimum barrell length for me was 28 and one half inches. He then modified my shotgun to that length and it is just about perfect-it gives me a well balanced weapon with an adequate site plane. Knowing this is not possible for all hunters and I couldn't have afforded it myself (don't you just love bartering), his recommendation is that given the choice between one that is a little long for you and one that is a little short for you (Gun manufacturers standards)-you should go a little longer. Best of luck.