Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Barrel Length -- How much of a factor >

Barrel Length -- How much of a factor

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Barrel Length -- How much of a factor

Old 01-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barrel Length -- How much of a factor

A longer sight plane means nothing with a scope. I have a 28" barrel on my 870 Express and would love to go shorter. Problem is, I could just about buy a new gun for what it costs to get a shorter barrel! It's tough to justify the investment. I was wondering how much it might cost or even if it was worth having a gunsmith shorten the barrel and tap it to accomodate choke tubes? I'll probably just live with the long barrel though unless a deal hits me on the head. Time to visit Ebay again...
Old 01-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DUCKSTAMPEDE

Not that any of us can do much about it but the length of the barrell in relationship to the length of your arm is the right way to determine what is best for you. I would never have believed but a friend of mine makes custom big game rifles that go for anywhere from $8000 to $35,000. He measured me and determined the optimum barrell length for me was 28 and one half inches. He then modified my shotgun to that length and it is just about perfect-it gives me a well balanced weapon with an adequate site plane. Knowing this is not possible for all hunters and I couldn't have afforded it myself (don't you just love bartering), his recommendation is that given the choice between one that is a little long for you and one that is a little short for you (Gun manufacturers standards)-you should go a little longer. Best of luck.
Your friends advice sounds solid enough... I believe that bbls are living creatures that have thier own uniqueness for patterns...everyone shoots different, even if same length....
Old 01-26-2005, 09:13 AM

I shoot a 28" barrell for turkeys on my 12, with extended choke.

Never had a problem with it being too long.

Hal
Old 01-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the shorter 24" barrel on my turkey gun and it makes it lighter which means alot to me after a day climbing the ridges after a gobbler.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the 21" BBl on my 11-87 SP... With Star Dot front and rear fiber optic sights I've never had any problem getting on target as far as I want to shoot a turkey, which is about 45 yards max.. It sure does carry and handle nice, and I've even used it for wingshooting a few times.. I made a triple on mallards with it once and another time killed 4 geese with 5 shots... NO I didn't leave my plug at home....... I dumped my 3 shots and got 2 geese, then killed 2 more before the flock got out of range by throwing single shells into the breech and firing..

Years ago before they even made any specialized turkey guns, I used a Browning A-5 with a 32" BBL... I'm only a smidgen taller than Adrian, and the barrel towered over my head with the gun slung..I was always hitting branches with the barrel...When I set up I had to be careful that there were no saplings around that the barrel might hit... It was a good gun and I killed my share of birds with it, but I like the short barrel on my current gun much better..
Old 01-30-2005, 06:24 PM

My Mossberg 935 turkey gun has a 21" barrel (I think, its pretty short, anyway) with a choke tube makes it 24" (I think). Love the light weight, manueverability. I even used it on ducks this fall, and smacked them pretty good, though my buddy complained that it was too loud.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 PM

-
Old 01-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

gorse mentions some good facts. My Win. 1300 has a 28" barrel and it's performed well on turkeys, doves, ducks & geese, and quite a few clay birds too, but....I'm leaning towards a 26" for my next scattergun.

It seems like balance & weight are more affected by barrel length than effective ranges & patterns.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your shooting competitively I think barrel length combined with fit and balance is a huge issue. Up to a point, sighting plane is a great advantage in a longer barreled gun that also helps in the follow through with one's swing.

However in the turkey woods it isn't that big of a deal. My 28 inch Beretta may even show a slightly better pattern than my 21 inch Benelli but for turkeys the Benelli gets the call everytime (unless I use my New England Firearms single shot). For me at least shorter is more maneuverable in the woods and therefore better. I am not fighting with that longer barrel all day and with tru-glow sights on the shorter barrel there is no problem aquiring the target.