Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Spring 05 Wisconsin Hunt Questions >

Spring 05 Wisconsin Hunt Questions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring 05 Wisconsin Hunt Questions

Old 01-20-2005, 12:55 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Spring 05 Wisconsin Hunt Questions

It is the number - it worked for me May 11-15!

Yahoo one tag down several more to get.

JW!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:43 AM

I know you can do it!
I have hunted w/arrows only for 25 years, including turkeys since 1996. Ya they are hard to hit since they don't stop moving for very long, I took head shots for my first few birds. Now I aim just above the legs, level w/the beard. They can't fly or run off if you break there legs.

I suggest a double bull blind, there are others out there. Cabelas makes a new one w/a pop up system for easy set up similar to double bull.
#1 chair in a bag for those long hours in the blind, I sit for 12 hours or more some days
#2 plenty of food & water, I use a camelback w/a 100 oz bladder
#3 a heater or single burner stove is a nice treat, long periods of time w/o moving you get cold
#4 a friend to help call & keep you awake, I start my days @ 2:30 am so I can be set by 4:30am
#5 motion decoys, feeding or breeding I have both & change my set up w/conditions keep them close 4/5 yards max this gives you a 10 yard shoot. I also use a saftey flag on top of my blind, I have had people stalk my set up.

I video tape my hunts as well, you will have a blast if you are in the right place @ the right time !
Deer, other wildlife, I had a coyote come in a grab a decoy once. A black bear w/cubs in northern Wisconsin, the possibiltys are endless...
Try the edges of fields or even right in the middle on large fields...
They tend to let there gaurd down out there since they use there eye sight as there main form of protection, it looks clear to them. Except that camo hump that don't move, thats why I suggest a double bull. Wind will not move this blind if it is staked down on all for corners & waterproof for the most part. Birds tend to move into these fields when it's raining, since there hearing is decreased.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:22 AM

Checked Friday the 21st of January, and results have been posted. I drew, too! [8D]
Old 01-22-2005, 10:50 AM

https://www2.wildlifelicense.com/wi/....php?permits=1

Here is the link to check the drawing.

I drew a tag for time period A.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:50 PM

[:'(] Got a tag but period E week 5 May 11-15 this overlaps my Minnesota hunt May 13-19th o'well I better "stick" one right away.
That will be nice late season no one else outhere, hope the birds have not been overcalled & pressured. The hens will be nesting so afternoons & mid morning the boys get restless, all the girls have gone to nest.
Maybe I'll catch the 2nd "peak" in one state or another....

Anybody read the fine print on the Minnesota regulations ?
They are not specific as to how long your tag is valid for this new archery only tag, sounds like it is valid from 5/13 thru 5/26 in which ever zone you pick as long as there were 50 tags issued per session for that zone.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Arrows only, I've got the same hunts in both WI and MN as you. I'm hoping to knock down a Wisconsin gobbler one of the first two days and then slide over to MN and hunt for a few days. Good luck on your hunts...
Old 01-24-2005, 02:39 PM

I Called Last Week..Day After This Post Started...Got 2...4th 5th Zone 22
Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Any of you wisconsin hunters plannin on doin your hunt with a bow??? i cant wait to get out there. I have only been out one other year and got my bird in like 30 min. I shot even before my twin bro was set up. I got lucky....this time though i think it will be a lot tougher cause i plann to do it with a bow. Let me know what your plans are and if you got any tips on how to draw them in close. i am still new so i need all the help i can get!!!!

Thanks