Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What gun to buy???

Old 12-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Default What gun to buy???

Ok folks, i need suggestions... Never been turkey hunting but wanna start this March. Any suggestions on what gun to buy? And if so what acces i need with the gun......
Old 12-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gun to buy???

Mossberg 500, 835 and the Remington 870 seem to be the most popular turkey guns. The most popular gauge is the 12.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the major makers have a good product. You need to find out which one fits you best. A lot of guys prefer pumps, myself included. There is nothing wrong with a semi-auto if that's what you like. The more difficult part is to find a good after-market choke tube which your gun likes. be prepared to try several tubes with several loads before you find the combination that shoots tightest in your new gun. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:14 PM

3 1/2 in mag.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

its a personell choice,my recomendation for durability and versatility is the remington 870 super mag.they have a new model called the remington 870 sps-t super mag with a thumbhole stock,super full choke,and tru glo fibre optic site.if thats not enough it has a recoil pad and is cammo.it shoots 2 3/4,3 inch and 3 1/2 inch shells.good for anything you want to shoot.you might have to sight in different chokes and shells for the best pattern.im guessing 600 to 700 $.look around and good luck.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If money isn't a problem, I would suggest a Semi-Auto over a pump. In no special order here: Benelli, Berreta, Browning, and Remington all make great semi-auto's, expensive yes, but worth the money. You may also want to look into a Custom Turkey choke for your gun as well, they usually will out perform the factory chokes by a long shot. Each gun will also shoot differently, even two identicle guns of the same brand. After you decide on a gun, testing at the pattern range will be the only way to see what turkey loads will shoot best. Then comes the vast amount of calls on the market, camo clothes, and turkey vests, etc. Good luck in your quest!!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:41 PM

Pumps Vs Auto....What The Diffrence? You Pump One...No Big Deal And The Cost More.
An 870 Express - Super Full Turkey Choke - 26'' Barrel - 3'' Winchester Supremes #4's
Ive Shot 50+ Yards And Killed Stuff. My Turkeys All With This Gun Been 15 Yards Away. Blew The Head Almost Clean Off.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Daddyslilhunter

3 1/2 in mag.
I've seen no need for that guage in the 20+ years I've been chasin' Gobblers.... I think it's promoting bad shot selections,myself, relying on more "power" than patience. Sometimes the turkeys win..learning that fact will do more than the larger guaged shotguns.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

A semi-auto will always have the fastest second shot capability over a pump "IF" needed. I have been using a Winchester 1300 "pump" gun since 1992, but if I ever wanted to Up-grade to a new turkey gun, one of the Semi-auto's I listed above will get the bill.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:02 PM

Like many of these guys said; It is personal preference. I shoot a baikal MP153 semi that you can shoot 2 3/4 - 3.5 mag. A very reliable gun and very easy on the shoulder , as far as recoil goes. It is a little on the heavy side, but very well balanced so you don't notice it much. I would put it up against any of the big (expenseive) boys. At $300.00 you can't go wrong. Two cents from a hunter on a budget.

Spatrat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.