HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Whats The Best Time To Scout For Turkeys ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/82218-whats-best-time-scout-turkeys.html)

jrbsr 12-10-2004 07:22 PM

Whats The Best Time To Scout For Turkeys ?

What time of year or month is the best time to start scouting for Spring turkeys ?

Thank You

jrbsr

JoeA 12-10-2004 08:01 PM

RE: Whats The Best Time To Scout For Turkeys ?

I'd guess a lot depends on the winter weather in your area. I believe the a good time to start listening would be when the gobblers start establishing dominance for the upcoming breeding season. They can make quite a racket doing this.

In many places the hens may be a bit aways from the bachelor groups of toms. If you can pattern some hens, you're one step closer to your goal.
One of the videos with "Wilbur & Cuz" shows an awesome turkey fight in Jan (in Mississippi?) Good luck next spring.

Wingbone 12-12-2004 05:55 AM

Like Joe said, if your birds flock up for winter, don't bother looking for them until they break up and spread out in spring.
However, for me, scouting turkeys is as much about getting to know the land you hunt as it is looking for birds. Right now, while the leaves are down would be a good time to find out where the gullys, fencelines, open ridges, travel lanes, etc. are. You can do it now and not worry about spooking birds. Then next spring you aren't bumping them trying to do the same thing.

JW 12-12-2004 09:13 AM

In new areas I plan to hunt I start now and will find those winter flocks.

Then I take a good look at the terrian as others said as they break up for spirng I figure out where they will go.

I then spend time asking landowners if I can hunt. The landowners can be very helpfull telling you what they have seen in the spring.

On many of my established areas through the years I have slowly trained the landowners to how big a bird I am looking for. I get great reports via AT&T! I call it my AT&T Turkey scouting! :)

Right now I am looking at a new piece of land for a Rio hunt. I have never been there but the landowner has given me details to what they expect in the spring and has located 2 flocks of over 100 birds or more. I am sure there is a Big boy in there.

I then have gone into my Topo map program and have earmarked a few river bottoms that I am sure will have the necessary roost trees. So I have slowly cut my search down to these areas when I get there next spring.

JW

huntnma 12-13-2004 03:52 AM

i always try to keep an eye on them throughout the year......