Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Quiet gobblers

Old 12-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quiet gobblers

Gobblers can be quiet for alot of reasons.Possibly the two most common would be hens and hunting pressure.If the reason is hunting pressure,trust me,you don't want those birds talkin.
If the reason is hens there's a few things you can try.
1-later in the morning the hen will go to nest.Then the gobbler will be lookin for some lovin.In alot of cases he'll return to the area he flew down at.
2-you can try calling the hen or hens in with him following.To do this you'll have to fire the hen up by aggressive cutting,yelping,or clucking.It's hard to do but it can happen.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:01 PM

i hunt close to the mines and at 5:00 every morning a really loud whistle blows when the workers change shifts. that is the only time turkeys will gobble not owl hoots or crows just the whistle.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've personally witnessed gobbling activity decrease over the past 20 years. It used to be that a man could easily hear a doz birds of a morning, not so anymore. The "why" could be debated, but the birds are talking less than they were...and it's not limited to any one geo area. I talked to hunters from Alabama(who also hunted Ga. & SC) and said the birds are quieting down everywhere they've hunted. It makes for less enjoyable hunting, but possibly more fullfiling when successful.I personally believ it's due to A: more hens & B; more hunters (using every call known to man.......)
Old 12-27-2004, 12:34 PM

Don't get discouraged by quiet birds. How did you kill the jake? You said accident but I'd like to hear. Hens will definitely quiet down a gobbler but with a lot of hens you should hear a Boss Hen when she flies down and tells everyone. If you do great. Get your Raspy mouth call out and give a good solid cackle down. She should respond. If you can get her to argue with you you'll be in for a long wait but could possibly call the flock in.I use a slate and mouth call during the arguement. It may be 9 am before they get to you. You need to be moving about a little while they are at a distance..to make your own self sound like a real Boss Hen. But when they get within a hundred yards you need to get still.

The only explanation i can think of about why you don't hear em fly up at night is that you are in the wrong spot. Start marking on a map where the one or two gobbles occur you hear in the morning. Check these spots in the evening to see if you can hear em fly up. This will give you a closer proximity to listen and will give you valuable info on their patterns. Let me know how it turns out. I am about 2 hours south of Evansville down in KY. Be happy to listen with you during scouting season.
Good Luck. Roost em
Old 12-28-2004, 07:59 AM

I've never hunted any easterns that like to gobble much on the roost in the evening. The osceolas I've hunted were easier than the easterns to roost. But I've only hunted easterns in southeastern states. Merriams love to gobble on the roost.

Hal
Old 01-04-2005, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: hawglips

I've never hunted any easterns that like to gobble much on the roost in the evening. The osceolas I've hunted were easier than the easterns to roost. But I've only hunted easterns in southeastern states. Merriams love to gobble on the roost.

Hal
I've never tried to make em gobble at night on the roost. But have gone to the area in the evening where I heard em gobble in the morning hoping to hear em fly up. Been pretty productive for me. Never been after the Osceolas but would love to try. Seen Merriams while bird hunting out west but never been there in the spring. So many hunts, so little time. Let's see if I followed the ducks from Canada to The Gulf of Mexico then I could start back north chasing gobblers in the Spring. How do i explain this to the wife?