Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Quiet gobblers

Old 12-09-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Quiet gobblers

I have a turkey hunting question. I've only been twice and last season by pure accident I shot a decent jake. I've had trouble getting to hear some gobbles early in the morning. I get out there and owl hoot but might get one or two birds to speak up and I know my area holds a lot more gobblers than that because I see hundreds of birds while deer hunting. I've also not had alot of luck putting turkeys to roost. Do you have any tips that could help me with either of these problems.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Default RE: Quiet gobblers

Some mornings they are just quiet, others they gobble too much as every hunter in 2 mile radius can hear them. I don't think anyone knows why. Ideally they gobble enough to let get setup and maybe answer a tree yelp. If you go out many times you'll hear them eventually. For treeing you can go out in the evening and listen for flyups, they have a distinctive sound. Or in the middle of the day you can walk around and look for trees that would make good roosts and check underneath for poop and feathers. A good tree will be sprawling and have branches 3 to 8 or so inches in diameter. I have about 100 acres and I bring a clipboard and aerial. I mark all the good roosting sites. You can go back there and listen for flyups. I find that just looking for fresh scratches gets me close to the birds. I hope ths helps...
Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 AM

I have the same scenario about not much gobbling when I know they are there. On the land I hunt there is a very high hen to gobbler ratio and from watching I'm thinking there isnt much of a reason for the gobbler to need to gobble. He's already surrounded by hens and he knows they are there. No need to advertise. As for shock gobbling I'm finding certain birds that will gobble every time you hoot but the vast majority just arent shocked by much of anything! I could be way off as I'm still a rookie at this myself but this is the way it seems to me where I hunt. Maybe you arent really having a problem maybe thats just the way it is!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:05 PM

I don't know if maybe it's just in southern IN where I hunt. My dad has turkey hunted all over and said that in Missouri birds gobble a ton and it just makes it that much easier to locate and then hunt. However I'm now in college and don't really have the resources to be going all over to get a gobbler so I just have to make the best with what I have. What kind of locater calls do you guys use and how has that worked for you?Thanks for the input.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 AM

The further west you go the better they gobble, IMO.

The areas I hunt in the southeast, it is not usual to get them to gobble on the roost in the evening. So if you know they are around, try to be there in the morning at gobbling time enough to get a feel where they roost. They like pines with sturdy horizontal limbs around here.

I have the most luck locating them with a box call. Out west, they seem to respond better to locator calls than they do in the southeast, in my experience. If you locate with a box call, you've got to be ready to set up immediately though in case one responds very close. Once day I did this fully not expecting a response, and too far from a place to set up, and before I could sit down at the nearest tree and pull up my face mask, the gobbler ran to within 20 yds and we were busted.

If I were you with limited places to hunt, I'd familiarize myself with the area as much as possible, and learn where their habits through lots of scouting. That's key.

Hal
Old 12-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

The fatal flaw of a dominant gobbler is his routine. If you do some preseason scouting and locate the birds, and those birds remain in the area into the beginning of the season, you can practically pattern them and take them without ever making a serious attempt at calling. He'll usually roost in the same area, make his way to the same strutting zone at some point, and circle back to his roost before dark.

The key is to not be detected. Get where you know he's going, put down some decoys. Make a few clucks and purrs and wait. I've killed more quiet gobblers than I have killed loudmouths. Chances are, if he's in the area, he'll get inquisitive and meander over to check out your calls.

It's not as exciting as a "run and gun" technique, but it is very effective when the birds aren't exactly lighting it up.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 PM

the more hens the less gobble!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know my area holds a lot more gobblers than that because I see hundreds of birds while deer hunting.
You hit the nail on the head there fella. Ya see, turkey's are like deer they have ranges too. The birds you are seeing during gun season are on there fall and winter range, the other birds are on spring and summer ranges. Only thing i can suggest is to get out there. First bird i ever killed was a 30lb tom, almost beat the ohio state record. He came in silent after 4hours of light calling, i shot him at 11:45 15minutes before quiting time here in ohio. You will never be able to master this wiley bird
Old 12-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

That Ohio / Indiana is bad for non Gobbling birds. Out of everywhere I've been these two states were a nightmare to roost birds. I did find that the Crow call worked the very odd time and a Train whistle...BT
Old 12-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Well...First do you have alot of turkey hunting pressure in your area because the turkeys might be owl hoot shy and I would try maybe a peacock call or a Cayote call to try and make them gooble I sware by puting them to bed for the next mornings hunt most of the time if the turkeys are not gobbling and there is not much hunting preasure its because they're with hens and you need to be Reeeeeaaaal good to pull a tom away from real hens

Quick Reply: Quiet gobblers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.