HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Shot size for turkey ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/80692-shot-size-turkey.html)

jrbsr 11-28-2004 05:29 PM

Shot size for turkey ?

OK so what shot size do you recomend ?

I shoot a 3 in magnum shell.

My gun a Winchester Model 1300 pump uses 2 3/4 or 3 in magnum.

So what shot size would you recomend ?

Maybe this next year I will have pictures.

Thank You

jrbsr

jalvja 11-28-2004 06:00 PM

RE: Shot size for turkey ?

JR.The best advice I can give ya is to try diffrent shot sizes and diffrent brands and see what patterns best from your gun.What patterns best outta my gun may not be any good at all outta your gun and vica-versa.Rather than buy lots of diffrent shells and then bein stuck with a bunch that don't pattern well.maybe you can borrow diffrent shells from some of your buddies.Only takes a couple of each to know if they'll pattern or not.

maytom 11-29-2004 11:46 AM

I agree with what Jim said as well. Also, depending on what size choke restriction you have in your turkey choke, certain sizes shoot certain pellet sizes better. An example:
I have the very same gun as you, and with using a .665 choke restriction, #5's seem to pattern best for me. Granted, #6's have the greatest amount of shot per ounce, but by using #5, or #4's, they will have much more down range energy over #6's. Again, like Jal mentioned, you will have to determine what's your best distance pattern wise while using your gun.
;)

buttonbuckmaster 11-29-2004 12:32 PM

I have used #5 and #6 and both worked well. Fives put a better thumping on what they do hit, sixes give you a little better coverage. Both killed quickly. I don't like the 4's as well, or at least my gun doesn't.

Bobgobble2 12-01-2004 08:25 AM

Pattern is everything inside ethical ranges for your own turkey thumper!The fellas are right on the money!Match the shot size 6,s,5,s4,s to your highest % pattern and there you go!For me I like the knock down power of 4's!!At 40 yards with one of my reloads, 4's crash through the biggest of gobblers cranium like a hot knife through butter!!!!:D;)

wernerjd 12-01-2004 01:05 PM

With my 1300 I use 4 shot 3'' winchester Supreme® Double-X® Magnum and High Velocity Turkey Loads. This works well for me with HS extra full choke but it could be different for your setup.

Wingbone 12-03-2004 03:39 PM

My older model BPS has the same choke system as your 1300. It'll shoot great patterns with either Winchester Supreme or HV 4's or 6's. It won't shoot 5's consistantly???

strut 12-03-2004 09:00 PM

I like 5 shot the best, but you need to shoot several different sizes of shot and loads to see what does the best out of your gun. The Nitro Hevi-Shot #5 is awesome out of my Rem. Super-Mag.

HOSS 12-08-2004 09:21 AM

The patterning advice above is sound and don't forget the different manufacturers shoot different as well my 11-87 shoots the Rem 4x6 or 4's very well but win. or federal not worth a darn get some of your pals together and everyone buy a box of loads of different makers and shot sizes and have a patterning party that way the cost of shooting a variety of loads is more managable.