Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ???? >

So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Old 11-25-2004, 08:05 AM

Default RE: So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Check out this link. It is pretty good when it comes to covering a lot of turkey hunting techniques and tips.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...y/libindex.htm
Old 11-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

You will be told time and time again to call less and softer if not sure. I would agree in general. I was also told turkeys will not cross fences, creeks, rivers in general.

Three years in a row I have called a gobbler across a huge river. When there was nothing left to use I sat down and called long, hard, and loud! It took awhile but eventually he took flight and flew across. Kind of blows both theories. key words "in general". I've learned in my short time that every turkey and situation has a different solution. Blown a lot of chances teaching myself but sure have had some exciting times trying different things.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

i read books,watched tapes,monitored this forum and soaked up everything turkey i could.i practiced calling until even my labrador had her paws over her ears.i started from the bottom such as how to properly identify the sexes and approximite age.through the advice of this forum i slowly and patiently assembled my gear.patterned my gun where i was confident with my shot and knew my limitations.i drilled into my head the advice i have heard over and over from veterans on this forum,be still,always sit 20 more minutes than you want to on a setup,and never,never give up,hunt every legal minute regardless of the weather and good things will happen.the high i felt bagging my first big gobbler in my first season in the last few hours of a 4 day hunt was one i will never forget.good luck to you.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Buy the video "So You Want to Be a Turkey Hunter?" and a couple of good books on the subject. Get a Lynch Fool Proof box call, a Primos Power Crystal pot call and a couple of double reed mouth calls and learn to use each of them. You will buy more calls later...lots more.
Scout, scout, scout and scout some more.

Pattern your gun and know what it will do at 15, 25 and 40 yards.
Go scout some more.
Camo up real good and go after 'em! Be patient. Be more patient than that.
Have fun with it. Learn the calls, practice to video tapes or audio tapes when you can. Turkey hunting is a blast. Go forth and get addicted like the rest of us!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:50 PM

An old timer once told me this (I won't go into telling you everything I'd do...would take a book), but there's a lot of truth to it. Assuming you know your gun and wear great camo, set up in a likely spot of activity, and sit still...sit still...sit still...

Of course, we could talk about decoys, calling, and myriad other tricks, but this advice goes a long way.