Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calling Contest?

Old 02-27-2002, 07:59 PM

Default Calling Contest?

I'm going to compete in the over 21 ametuer class this weekend. I have never been to a contest as a spectator, I am assuming that it is good to run the spectrum of calls, as well as mix it up with different cadences. My other question is I am planning on using my Cannon Country D.O.A. mouthcall, but will I be required to use a slate and boxcall as well; or is it usually just one type of call. Any advice from you fellow beard hunters would be appreciated. I'm not expecting great success, just out for a little experience in competition. But, it sure would be nice to go into this with a little more insight, especially since the ametuers go first.

Thanks,
Gunner
Old 02-28-2002, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default RE: Calling Contest?

First off you may use any call you like, you will not be confined or obligated to use a specific call. As far as the calls themselves go, you will be told before the contest which calls you will be required to perform. When you take the stage the announcer will ask you to perform the calls one at a time. It will be like this; "Caller #3, your rendition of a cluck" "Caller #3, your rendition of a plain yelp" so on and so forth. Good luck, i am entering a couple of local contests in March myself.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:57 PM

I was in your position last year. I was fortunate enough to have the oppurtunity to talk with Tom Neuman and Steve Lecorchick from Penn's Woods game calls before my first contest. Their advice was to remember, "....you're the boss up there, don't pay any attention to the crowd." That's the best advice I can give you. Another thing, move around, like with a mouth call, throw your calls all around, acting like a hen moving through the woods. Good luck.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 02-28-2002, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

GOOD LUCK AT THE CONTEST!!!!!