Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

new to turkey hunting

Old 08-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default new to turkey hunting

hello all. im interested in getting into hunting turkey. is there any information, books or video's taht you woudl recomend or maybe some sound advice for a newbie getting into the sport? i have hunted pheasant, duck, and deer all different ways, ie. bow, rifle, and shot gun. what are your recomendations?

thanks again
Andy
Old 08-04-2004, 02:46 PM

Default RE: new to turkey hunting

I've only been turkey hunting for two seasons now but here is what I have for you. First off, welcome to the club. Turkey hunting is like nothing else. And I love it and it's challenges, which are many.

As for offering information, all I can recomend is the following. I get two magazines; Turkey Call, and Turkey and Turkey Hunting. I listened to all the free information from seasoned turkey hunters. But for me, the best information that I've found so far is what I've gotten here on this site. I read and re-read through all the post until I got a handle on the basics. The members on the site are really great at offering excellent information, the kind that helped me get my birds. Two years in a row, starting out as a pure green horn.

Hope it helps, sorry about not being able to list books or videos, etc.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:53 PM

do a search on: turkey sounds . you can download and listen while practicing on your calls.read articles on hunts and you will really learn when you go in the woods before daylight,hear them,call them and make mistakes.the best advice i ever got was PATIENCE.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

welcome,i would recommend purchasing a box call and a audio tape of turkey talk and practicing the basic yelp,cluck and purr over and over,the bread and butter of spring hunting.then you can progress to slate and mouth calls and other variations of turkey talk.maybe get a hunting video and a good all around book on the subject.reading your post it sounds like you have some experience in the woods and probably have a idea what type of gun and choke you need.my best advice is to monitor this forum,scouting,location,preparation,clothing,tacti cs,etc,etc,these people have more knowledge collectively than any book or video.good luck.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the advice guys. here is what i have purchased so far.
http://www.ccgdata.com/0867-6.html

its a turkey hunting magazine. im also looking for any good turkey call Dvd's or Cd's. any sugestions? thanks again for all the help

Andy
Old 08-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-06-2004, 12:05 PM

Take a look at this link. It is helpful as well.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...y/libindex.htm
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for teh link it has some GREAT information in there. i didnt realize that they are easy in the begining of the year to call for scouting purposes but get progressivly harder to call later, in the season.

thanks again
Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 PM

Find yourself a mentor. That's the quickest way to get up to speed. You can avoid a lot of trial and error that way.

Hal
Old 08-10-2004, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

how am i supposed to find a mentor? i woudlnt guess there are alot of LONE hunters out there who are willing to take a 26 year old hunting for turkey. but hwo knows. hwo should i go about getting a mentor. everyone up at my archery shop doesnt hunt turkey. is there somewhere on this forum that allows you to look for a mentor?

thansk again fellas. you guys have been a great help.

Quick Reply: new to turkey hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.