Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

new to turkey hunting

Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 AM

Default RE: new to turkey hunting

I guess finding a mentor is easier suggested than done. I was lucky in that regard - it was my brother.

But I would not be surprised if there aren't some folks on here who would enjoy hunting with you if the chance came up. There are other turkey hunting boards around also, and you might broaden your contact base that way. You might find a mentor at a local NWTF chapter also.

Hal
Old 08-10-2004, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: daystalker

how am i supposed to find a mentor? i woudlnt guess there are alot of LONE hunters out there who are willing to take a 26 year old hunting for turkey. but hwo knows. hwo should i go about getting a mentor. everyone up at my archery shop doesnt hunt turkey. is there somewhere on this forum that allows you to look for a mentor?

thansk again fellas. you guys have been a great help.

Ask here, IF you have land to hunt i think there are many guys on here that woudl love to come to a new place to call in a big ol tom for ya and show you some tips and tricks.

Last year was my first year. I was just like you lost as hell. I got DVD on it a couple of books and asked alot of questions on here. I bagged 2 toms and a jake. Not too bad for my first year. But i will tell you alot of turkey hunting for us beginnners is luck and from what i hear it plays a big part for advanced turkey hunters. Dont give up. Man i called and called and sat many days in the forest and then it just happened. It will get frustrating to hear that tom just out of your reach and he wont come in. Be patient.

Just read and read and listen to those recorded turkey sounds and ask a ton of questions on here. All the people on here are very helpfu. Oh ya, look at old message threads i am sure someone has asked some of the questions you are thinking about.

good luck, you have plenty of time to get ready for spring season. I am chomping at the bit already, thank god for deer season to help me get a fix
Old 08-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Definitely get the mag Turkey and Turkey Hunting and the CD "Spittin' Feathers". The CD will teach you the basic calls and many of the do's and don't's of turkey hunting. It was a big help to me when I got started.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:02 AM

Check sound clips at www.treetopturkeys.com