HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   wounded gobbler (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/63079-wounded-gobbler.html)

gobblerspur 06-07-2004 05:25 PM

wounded gobbler

did anybody see this picture in the paper.
i don't know if i posted this , i looked and saw nothing.
this is what we don't want to see.
i think this bird should of been taken once it was sited, the poor bird.

Hawgnman 06-08-2004 07:05 AM

RE: wounded gobbler

Why should he be taken? As long as he can fly to roost, wait until next year and he'll be fine to court the hens or as a trophy.

DoubleLung55 06-08-2004 10:54 PM

I agree , if he can survive the normal turkey life with only something purtruding out of his back , and roost and feed and all that , i think wait and take hi next turkey season , that would be a nice mount , the TOUGHT TURKEY by whoever shot him , kinda like those odd whitetail names of the cool mounts !

OntElk 06-09-2004 09:08 AM

Man that looks like what should have been a great shot. I'm guessing as the bird was in full strut facing away they got to full draw. Must have been upset to see him leave after that shot.

Do all you bowhunters use big mechanical broadheads? I understand this is essential in making a good kill shot. Hard to tell if this was the case here but it looks like a mech. wasn't used if that is the broadhead I see in the photo.

That would be something to take the next season. I wish this wasn't in the paper however. Anti's love to use this stuff against us. I think that is what Gobblespur is saying. The situation itself, as any knowlegeable hunter should know, may happen. Casualty of the sport. Sometimes no matter what it just isn't thier "time". Tough bugger!

TURKEY FAN 06-09-2004 10:23 AM

How in the world could that happen? My bow would have blown the back outta that jake, he shouldnt have shot at that particular bird anyway.

OntElk 06-09-2004 12:28 PM

Why not that "particular bird"????

Any bearded turkey with a bow, jake or longbeard, is quite a feat.

DoubleLung55 06-09-2004 03:41 PM

Indeed a feat.

RustyOlRanger4x4 06-09-2004 08:54 PM

im amazed the birds still alive but it does look kinda bad all the anti`s and normal people who see it go awwwww look what some terrible persons done to that turkey or thats so mean some terrible hunter shot that beautiful bird ect.....

Bobgobble2 06-09-2004 10:29 PM

True testament how tough these birds can be!!I agree the bird has every right to live BUT unfortunately as Rusty points out this is a delightful seen to the [:'(]antis[:'(]!!!!!

mauser06 06-10-2004 11:56 PM

he lived by fractions of an inch i bet.......the blades JUST missed the spine i bet......man thats wild.....wonder what stopped it or if it was a low powerd bow.......id think most bows blow right through a turkey.......really nothing to stop it......must been low powered...or a bad head.....a mechanical that doesnt open wont penetrate far.....and could been why that turkey didnt die....if it was a mechanical head.....and didnt open i bet if it did it would sliced the spine......man thats a neat pic.....